Clear all

How to change guitar strings?

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I think it's time for me to change my guitar strings. I have the stuff to do it, just not the strings, but I'll get those sometimes this weekend.

Anyone know of a good video tutorial for how to change guitar strings? Note- I have a Squier '51. I watched a tutorial for a Telecaster...and that helped me with the tuners, but not the body of the guitar and how to get them to work there.

Thanks.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Check out this thread....

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=30028

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member

Hey, I hope it isn't too late. I too have a '51 and I figured I drop in a suggestion on strings. I personally use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I really like them. The Supers are the thinnest gauge and they come in a hot pink package. I like them because they're so thin. It's easier to bend the strings more and they just sound great. So if you didn't buy your new ones yet consider the Pink Slinkys. Oh, and if I were you I'd buy and extra set...just in case...the first time I changed my strings on my own I forgot what my guitar teacher said and I didn't give the low E enough slack and I broke it. And then I wound the high E too tight and broke it. Needless to say I was out of commission for a few days until I could get to the store and get new ones. Anyway, just thought I'd drop a suggestion. Good luck! :D

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well earlier today I wound the A string and it snapped on me.

What do you mean by giving it enough slack? Doing corner-turns and such, instead of full-turns?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kevin

First, the '51 is a little difficult with the stock bridge. You may have to put a little bend at the end of the string so when you thread it through the holes in the rear of the bridge the strings come up over the saddles. Or, if you have a pair of tweezers just pull them up. This is not the best design for a bridge. :roll:

When you come to the tuning pegs you do not just pull the string through and start winding. If you do that the string will become taut instantly. Before you can get even one wrap around the peg the string will become so taut it will break. So you have to give it slack.

I just pull the string back about one inch, or maybe even an inch and a half. Then start winding. You will find the string wraps around the peg 3 or 4 times before it becomes taut. This is good, this is exactly what you want. The string will not break and it will not slip out of tune either. The wraps push up against the string and secure it in the hole through the peg.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member

First time I had to restirng a guitar was my strat, just took it all apart and figuered out how it worked, thought I lost some parts tho when I only ended up with 3 big strings for the tremolo :P

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Wes said: "I just pull the string back about one inch or so".....this is excellent advice. You'll still have around 3-4 inches of string spare...I usually then put a kink in the string...90 degrees for the thicker strings, more for the plain...AFTER it's gone through the tuning peg, this helps to prevent it slipping back through. Then as I'm winding the string onto the peg, I make sure that the spare part is over the part of the string that's going into the tuning peg - when it's wound, it'll ride up and trap the string tightly so's it doesn't slip.

Also, as you're winding the string, put your hand underneath it and lift it until it's fairly taut....that way it won't be too slack. If it cuts into your hand, you're pulling too tightly. Just enough so it isn't flapping about everywhere...

I also change one string at a time, starting from the bottom (thickest) E string....that way you're not releasing all of the tension on the neck at once, it's staying reasonably constant. I'll tune the string I've just put on to the next one up, then when I've finished changing all the strings, I'll use the tuner to get it to concert pitch. Then I'll leave the guitar alone for a few hours, to allow the strings to stretch and settle.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

WES:
First, the '51 is a little difficult with the stock bridge. You may have to put a little bend at the end of the string so when you thread it through the holes in the rear of the bridge the strings come up over the saddles. Or, if you have a pair of tweezers just pull them up. This is not the best design for a bridge.
Yea, I noticed the design seems a lil weird since my A-string broke. Seems rather difficult to get it through the bridge.
When you come to the tuning pegs you do not just pull the string through and start winding. If you do that the string will become taut instantly. Before you can get even one wrap around the peg the string will become so taut it will break. So you have to give it slack.

I just pull the string back about one inch, or maybe even an inch and a half. Then start winding. You will find the string wraps around the peg 3 or 4 times before it becomes taut. This is good, this is exactly what you want. The string will not break and it will not slip out of tune either. The wraps push up against the string and secure it in the hole through the peg.
I don't undersatnd what you mean here. I know what taut/slack means...but pulling the string back one inch?

VIC:
Also, as you're winding the string, put your hand underneath it and lift it until it's fairly taut....that way it won't be too slack. If it cuts into your hand, you're pulling too tightly. Just enough so it isn't flapping about everywhere...

I also change one string at a time, starting from the bottom (thickest) E string....that way you're not releasing all of the tension on the neck at once, it's staying reasonably constant. I'll tune the string I've just put on to the next one up, then when I've finished changing all the strings, I'll use the tuner to get it to concert pitch. Then I'll leave the guitar alone for a few hours, to allow the strings to stretch and settle.
Yep. I plan on doing one string at a time (since it seems like the easiest way, plus it seems like it makes the most sense. I don't see what you mean by puttng your hand undearneath the string though. Where? >_>

Sorry for my noobness.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Put your right (if you're right-handed!) hand under the string you're changing somewhere near the middle - you need to have some tension on the string, otherwise it'll just be wrapped loosely round the tuning peg and will go out of tune easily....it'll slip....keep a fairly constant tension on the string as you're winding it with your left hand...this way the string will be evenly stretched.....

Vic

(And no need to apologise for "noobness" - we've all been there, done that, and struggled till someone showed us how....)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Put your right (if you're right-handed!) hand under the string you're changing somewhere near the middle - you need to have some tension on the string, otherwise it'll just be wrapped loosely round the tuning peg and will go out of tune easily....it'll slip....keep a fairly constant tension on the string as you're winding it with your left hand...this way the string will be evenly stretched.....

Vic

(And no need to apologise for "noobness" - we've all been there, done that, and struggled till someone showed us how....)
You were never a noob, there was no such word as 'noob' back in your days as a 'beginner' lol :P Just playin around.

But seriously, I see what you mean, now. Thanks. Do you think I could bring my guitar to the store just so they can set it up? I mean...I might as well.

Though, isn't a set up pretty much just getting the strings even...so one isnt higher than the other? If so, I already did that myself. I noticed some were higher than the other (never really bothered to look before).

ReplyQuote