Clear all

How to find time to play

31 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Like many of you, I'm an (early) 30-something guy with wife, kids, dogs, other interests, blah blah blah... so, how do you all find time to play everyday? I get home about 6pm and by the time everything is done and the kids are in bed it is 9:00 and time to do a project on the house, answer email, play a (little) guitar (if I'm lucky), or just flat out rest.

Any suggestions out there? Anything that any of you do to find time to practice and play? Just curious.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

Luckily, I have none those things you listed.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have an old beater guitar at work.
when Im on break I play.

being a single homeowner Ive chores up the wazoo.
when I do find the time to park in front of the tube I grab an acoustic and run scales during commercial breaks.

in your case you should hide in the garage. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

How about setting the alarm an hour earlier in the morning? If it means you get up before anyone else in the house you could get some quality uninterrupted time in.

Just a thought.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Incredibly obvious one is to spend less time online. By scheduling online time, I managed to find clost to ninety minutes of practice time I wasn't getting.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member

I am playing by 5:30 am every weekday and then a little later on weekends. Evenings just dont work for me.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Luckily, I have none those things you listed.

UNLUCKILY I don't have these things you listed! Make time for what's important and fit the guitar in where you can.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It might be interesting to find some people who play guitar: whether that means an actual band or just hanging out with friends a couple hours a week. If you can schedule that in, you'll probably be more motivated to practice after work or on weekends, even if you don't have as much time.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm a firm believer in 'first things first'. If it's important to you, do it before everything else - that way it gets done.

Too many people end up putting off what's important so they can deal with what's 'urgent'... probably because they commit themselves to so many things. But in the end, the life you lead is a direct result of the choices you make. Put your important things first, and you'll be happy with the results.

It's impractical for me to jump out of bed and immediatley pick up the guitar - my fingers don't move well until I've had my coffee :) So my morning routine is make the coffee, read my e-mail, and then practice. If I focused first on things that 'must' be done (mow the lawn, pay the bills, whatever) practice would suffer - but it turns out that if I do the things that are important to me first, somehow I'm always able to make time for the neccesary stuff that's left.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm a firm believer in 'first things first'. If it's important to you, do it before everything else - that way it gets done.

Too many people end up putting off what's important so they can deal with what's 'urgent'... probably because they commit themselves to so many things. But in the end, the life you lead is a direct result of the choices you make. Put your important things first, and you'll be happy with the results.

It's impractical for me to jump out of bed and immediatley pick up the guitar - my fingers don't move well until I've had my coffee :) So my morning routine is make the coffee, read my e-mail, and then practice. If I focused first on things that 'must' be done (mow the lawn, pay the bills, whatever) practice would suffer - but it turns out that if I do the things that are important to me first, somehow I'm always able to make time for the neccesary stuff that's left.

I tend to be the same way. I spend alot of timing playing and writing, that should be spent on school work. But, there is little point in me doing homework first if I'm itching to play guitar. Once it's out of my system for a couple of hours I hit the books. If I did things the other way, both would more then likely suffer.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Every day is different for me when I want to play guitar. There will be a day when it's 11am, another 1pm, yet another 5pm before I'm ready to play guitar. Then I either choose to play through a song I'm learning, scales/chords, or noodling around trying to write a song. There are even days I just take a break. Breaks are good for me, but I know that it's something that won't work for others.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

maybe you should look for smaller increments of time. fifteen minutes here, ten minutes there....

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Personally I'm busy too. School, Homework, School Clubs, All year round sports, Scouts, Eagle Project... Luckily, I manage to have some me time after school usually, and I stay up late.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Put a guitar next to the toilet. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Put a guitar next to the toilet. :)

Jason

it doesnt work unless you have a music stand for the Tab sheets.

even better...put em on the roll for the TP. :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3