Clear all

How to improv solo over a rhythm?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was at my buddies house and a bunch of people brought their guitars, it was a jam/teaching session. Anyway, one kid was playing the main part of whole lotta love by led zep, which goes like this:
D---------- 9-x-x-x- 9-x-x-x- 9-x-x-x- 9-x-x-x- 9-x-x-x-9-x-x-x-9-9--
A---5---5--7-x-x-x- 7-x-x-x- 7-x-x-x- 7-x-x-x- 7-x-x-x-7-x-x-x-7-7----5---5
E-7---7----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0--7---7

He was playing this part over and over, while another kid was improv soloing over it. It sounded awesome, and I'd really like to learn how to do that. How do you learn to do this? Scales? I dont really know where to start, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Yes, scales can help. You just need to practice until you can hear what you want to play and then play it. At that point, scales become irrelevant, but until then, scales are the way to go.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What kind of scales exactly? and how do you figure out what scales to use for a song, like what scale was the kid prolly soloing in over that riff up there?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Mmmm... That does sound like it'ed kick ass.

I just tried it with major pentatonic, sounded pretty decent but I'ed need to practice more to fit the rhytym. There's probably a better scale you could use, though.

One question, did they do the trippy stuff in the middle?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You can start out on that particular piece using the E minor pentatonic. Given the voicing of WLL you tabbed, use the 12th fret position, with lots of bending and throw in the flatted 5th (B-flat), as well. Don't do anything more complicated until you start to get some sound you like using this.

These are the note locations for the Em pentatonic at the 12th fret. I've include the flatted 5th in (parens):

e -- 12 15
B -- 12 15
G -- 12 14 (15)
D -- 12 14
A -- 12 (13) 14
E -- 12 15

Try to avoid just running up and down the entire scale. Two and three note runs, ending in bends (e.g., to the B-flat) and even single bent notes will start to get you there. Hammer-ons and pull-offs work nicely, as well. Try for a bluesy feeling. Pay more attention to the rhythm, bending and emotion -- don't try to play a lot of notes.

For more positions and related, check around on GN for info on the minor pentatonic.

That what you're looking for?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thats great greg, will try it out tonight. How did you figure out it should be an E minor pentatonic scale? Was it just from looking at the tab, or you hearing it? Thanks again.
and Metaellihead, nah, it was just that part over and over with this kid soloing over it, sounded awesome tho.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Do u do a lot of soloing? Cos I do and so I find improvosing comes naturally, as you pick things up from all the other artists u played. I find I can go into auto-pilot and just keep going or I can focus a bit more and make it sound more interesting. I generally improvise around the blues scale...
I guess that wasnt much help, but its what its like for me :?

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

wow simon...i just realized that that guitar for you signature thing is really sweet...just thought id pot that out there
8)

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thats great greg, will try it out tonight. How did you figure out it should be an E minor pentatonic scale? Was it just from looking at the tab, or you hearing it? Thanks again.

From your tab, the main chord is an E. From memory, WWL is bluesy -- that means go with something akin to a blues scale. Em pentatonic is close enough.

An E major or related scale is the wrong "mode" for the feel of this tune, unless cleverly mixed with a blues scale ... that is unless you intend to do a country version :wink:

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote