How to test guitar

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all.

I am going to buy a BC Rich Jr. V sometime this week and it's something i've always wanted. but i want to thoroughly try it out before buying it. now, how do you go about doing this?

is there a routine i should go through? like play all techniques, tap, sweep, etc?
or should i play some songs from the style i wanna play (heavy metal, hard rock)?

thanks loads :)

Manti

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Play what is comfortable for you to play in the style you play,
You want to know how the guitar will feel and sound in the way you will be using it.
Along with that, play every fret on every string to see if there is any high frets or buzzing or anything else possibly wrong.
Good luck :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you want to check it out well:

Play every fret on every string. One by one, not with riffs or anything. Listen closely to any fretbuzz. Look from the headstock down the neck to the bridge and check if the neck is warped. If the strings aren't brand new, do some heavy bends and check tuning. If there is a vibrato bridge of sorts, use it and check tuning. For floyd bridges you can go all out, classic strat bridges won't take divebombs so don't bother trying them. Feel the tuners and check if they seem solid enough. Try the switch and tone/volume pots and hear for screaching sounds. Feel the input jack and make sure it is properly and solidly installed. Check intonation at the 12th and 24th (if possible) fret.

If anything isn't in order tell this to the storeowner and ask if he can set the guitar up so you can properly test it. Ofcourse this depends on the guitar: a relatively cheap one will always have some minor flaws somewhere but a $2000 Gibson really should have everything perfect.

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Make sure you check the action,intonation and give the tremelo and good working in the shop.If you can get them to set it up before you buy it.A friend of mine bought a b.c. rich (pretty sure its the jnr V from Korea) took him weeks to get it set up properly.eg action was too high but when he lowered it tuning and intonation was shot to bits.He also had to get the springs changed before it would stay in tune properly.Plays like a dream now.So a pro set up may well be money well spent.They look awesome.Good luck.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am probably not adding anything of value here but I felt like typing.

What is implied in what missileman said was play something you are comfortable with so you can tell the difference in feel when you are trying the new one.

I also suggest with an electric try it in a couple of amps to see the variety of tone. If at ll possible try it in an amp like you have so you have some field of reference.

Good luck and enjoy.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You may also want to consider other brands...I have read in several forums the BC Rich line is not the best quality...I know their "body shapes" are unique and appeal to younger crowds but you're the one that has to play it.

Check out Harmony Central reviews (taken with a grain of salt) and the reviews on sites like Musician's Friend...plus of course ask on the forums.

ReplyQuote
(@il_manti)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

wow, thanks a lot. thats a lot of replies lol

i will do everything you said, and i will check those reviews too. i was searching the web for some but i couldnt find them!

ok then

cya ;)

PS: I didnt go for the bc rich because of the body but because of the budget :) they sound good within their price range and well, yeah what the heck, they have awesome bodies too hehe

The truth does not matter in life. What really matters is what others believe to be the truth.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I also suggest with an electric try it in a couple of amps to see the variety of tone.
Quoted for truth. Additionally, if you have the chance to play out of an amp you are intimately familiar with (like your own...) that is even better!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey all.
is there a routine i should go through? like play all techniques, tap, sweep, etc?

You can always bring it to a batting cage to test durability and finish. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

adding to the above:
check for loose parts, are the tuners well seated, do they wiggle. are all th screws everywhere well seated and not blown out, are the switches firm, do they pop electroincally, are the frets mounted tight, any loose ones, what about the finish work on the ends of th frets, are they sharp, strap pegs screwed in tight, is the protective plastic still on the pickguard, any dings, dents, finish flaws, any grounding issues, are the pickups quiet, hear any hum when cranked.
?????

details matter. have fun with your new axe. hope it inspires you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

One other thing noone mentioned yet, have someone at the store play it for you, that way you can just stand back and and listen to the guitar without splitting your concentration between playing and trying to listen for flaws

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote