Notifications
Clear all

Hum coming from the bridge

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@snufdacrimedog)
Topic starter  

Ok so, I had a rough time with a Ibanez I bought about five months ago, the neck somehow manages to twist, and basically the guitar was done. So I got a replacement check(warranties are awesome!) in the mail the other day, and I replace the guitar with a Mitchell Electric Acoustic. Great guitar!, but there was one problem, a few of the frets on the A and D string, and the open G string made this humming/short buzz sound that came from the bridge. The sound would completely disappear if I played with a pick, but it would come back if I used my finger even with the slight amount of force. The only time it wouldn't hum/buzz if I played with my fingers, is if I played the stiffer end of the string near the bridge. At one point I even changed the strings, and it still continued to make this hum/buzz at the bridge. So I blamed this on my technique for a while, that was until I played the exact same model at a different guitar store and it didn't make that sound. Being extremely pissed off, I went home took all the strings off the guitar and and put them back on, I also moved some of the inner electronics around. I was blown away, when I put all the strings on the problem was gone! I was very happy, but at the same time I'm a finicky young adult and I need a rhyme or reason for everything. Common sense says that it was a loose string ball(Frets.com is awesome aswell :D ). My only problem with dismissing this as a loose string ball is after I restrung the guitar how is it that it continued the make the buzz/hum? Id appreciate any input, and I apologize for this short novel I have written here.

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

It's very hard to make a diagnosis without actually getting to look at the guitar. Could be caused by a number of different things.

Best bet is to take it to a tech to check it over - well worth the cost.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

after I restrung the guitar how is it that it continued the make the buzz/hum?

I thought the buzz went away?
when I put all the strings on the problem was gone!

:?:
:?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@snufdacrimedog)
Topic starter  

The buzz as of right now is gone. I have no problems with the guitar as of right now, but like I said Im finicky Im just as interested in learning how guitar operate, just as much as Im into playing them. I just want to know what is up. The initial stock strings did make the hum, and it made the hum after restringing it for the first time. The second time I merrily took the strings off to go inside the guitar and move some of the electronics around. I feel it was a loose string ball that was not properly restingagainst the peg board underneath the bridge in the guitar, but Im no expert. I followed the buzz diagnosis at http://www.frets.com the guy is a genius he has helped me many time when it came to my bass, and it led me to the loose string ball theory. Basically, to some extent I shouldn't be complaining the problem is non-existant as of now, but again Im finicky about my instruments so I would kinda like to get the final word. I understand its hard when you cant see the instrument thats why I described the scenario as best as possible.

ReplyQuote