Clear all

I didn't think I could do this

31 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm an idiot. I changed my strings yesterday, normal procedure, right? Right. I start tuning them, then get to the A-string, not realizing it's actually above pitch, I attempt to tune it up to the next A. Of course, the string breaks somewhere around F# with a bang like a shotgun, and I'm left wondering whether I broke anything.

So I go to the music store and get another string, put it on, and everything's fine. I'm just amazed that A) none of my hardware broke and B) the thing went that high.

I'm normally not this stupid, just wasn't paying attention. Also, I noticed that without strings on it, everything like machine heads and bridge saddles are very loose. Not so with strings on. Is this normal?

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

OUCH!

I'd be more happy that you still have both eyes :)

I've always heard you should replace strings one at a time, so the hardware doesn't come loose.

Anyone?

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@saint_duud)
Trusted Member

I've heard that, too. Plus, I'm really forgetful, and if I switch all the strings at the same time, I'll end up putting at least two in the wrong spots, somehow. Then I'll be pissed off, so I'll screwed up the next time, too. Vicious cycle. And much worse if someone's watching.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

True. Only reason I had all the strings off was so I could clean the fretboard-I don't do that often enough.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

um, which guitar is it?

I find saddles are generally fairly loose on my electrics, more so with the Fenders. the machine heads are usually fairly tight though - you can tighten them easily with a screwdriver to anywhere there happens to be a screw. I did that with a cheap acoustic I restrung yesterday - one of the tuners was wobbling all over the place when I threaded the string (not been used in ages, so I only just noticed), but a few small turns with a screwdriver had it back in position and tight. Also, try tightening the, um, washer thingy on the front of the headstock - darn, yesterday it was sight issues, today its dementia, someone get the blue rinse! lol

mostly, I've found nuts to be glued on pretty tight, but one classical did have a nut which moved around without strings.

obv, any LP-style guitars, the tun-o-matic bridge thing totally falls off without strings on.

also, I change the strings on my Ibanez acoustic one by one since it has a pickup under the bridge/saddle and this can get dislodged if you remove all the strings at once.

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you mean the tuning machine capstan (what you wind the string around) is loose when unstrung, that is not unusual. But all of the capstans should have about the same amount of play or "wiggle room." If one is looser or tighter than the others, there might be a problem. As Scrybe writes: The back (body) of the tuner should not be loose. If it is, tighen the nut around the capstan on the front of the headstock and/or the screws on the back of the headstock -- but don't overdo it; snug is good enough.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

thanks for providing the proper names and translating my post into something coherent, gnease. :)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And I'd agree that it's fine to take all the strings off when re-stringing -- I always do so that I can clean things up.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wait - you broke the A string??????????????????????

The A string??????????????

Seriously??? Not the B or E string? Holy crap!

I take them all off as well - sometimes to work on electronics, other times to clean the fretboard. I break the freakin' B and E strings all the time. Never the A string, though...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Wait - you broke the A string??????????????????????

The A string??????????????

Seriously??? Not the B or E string? Holy crap!

I take them all off as well - sometimes to work on electronics, other times to clean the fretboard. I break the freakin' B and E strings all the time. Never the A string, though...

Yep. The A string. :lol:

I tuned it almost an octave higher than it should have been :twisted:

And Scrybe, it was my SG-tune-o-matic bridge and all. All the capstans move the same amount, and the nut is solid.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've broken several G-strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've broken several G-strings.

On your Johnson? Or someone else's?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Only my own.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

I also broke a string once like that by trying an alternate tuning that I read the order upside down. :?

Oh well, it happens.

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

I hate changing strings although I *think* I am getting a better at it the more I do it. I usually stick a largish 3M post-it behind the tail piece on a les paul to avoid bouncing it off the finish while the strings are going on. Another "trick" I learned is to be careful polishing around the (tune-o-matic) bridge with the strings off - those thumb wheels really move easy when there's strings pressing down on it - and you can mess the action up pretty good. Ask me how I know! LOL! :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3