Notifications
Clear all

I dont wanna sing...

35 Posts
26 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I took violin lessons with a teacher who also showed me some helpful stuff on piano and singing. Although I'm definitely not a professional singer, i definitely think that it's helped me out alot.

If you think singing is important, I would work with a vocal teacher if you can, or at least follow what your teacher is saying and sing: the more you sing in front of other people, the more comfortable it will be.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not that this will help but here's my situation: I don't like how my voice sounds. My solution: I don't give a crap. If I have a message to bring I'll mumble, cough, yell and drool it in the microphone. And if people don't like that: too friggin' bad for them. If you don't *want* to sing and you don't even like the idea of singing to yourself then don't feel pushed. If you do want to sing but feel shy or are concerned with what others think: screw that. The world has bigger issues to worry about then your voice, if you want to sing then sing. Don't hold back, don't be scared of vocal lessons. We all have our vocal limitations, so what? If you feel your message people will connect no problem.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I can't sing to save myself. But meh, I care not. Though, like you, I tend to be a bit self-conscious.

Nevertheless, if I want to sing along to a tune and I don't really want others to hear (ie. my wife :P) then I mumble ... of sorts. And you know what ... it actually sounds okay. I wonder if this is why there are a number of artist out there that do exactly that. :?

Of course, if you want to improve over time then you will need to practice all the techniques and such, including singing more open then mumbling will allow. Breathing is also very important. I think for me learning the harmonica has helped enormously in this department.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Do it. The recording and posting, just do it. I promise I'll lie if it's awful :lol:

Seriously, I know exactly how you feel, but you have to just get out there and do it. I was the same the first time I played in front of people - it ended up being in our local, so even worse - in front of people we knew. It wasn't as bad as I was playing with 2 others, but still nerve-wracking. They loved it, mistakes and all, and I can't put into words how much of a weight off that was. I have to do the same again soon, getting out there and doing a just-me-and-my-guitar thing in front of a pub full of people, but I know I can draw on that first time I played anything in front of anyone.

At some point you have to bite the bullet, so just get it over and done with. Everyone here will be supportive, this is the nicest place to do it that you'll find :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Hendrix was insanely paranoid over his voice, and I think most people are reasonably paranoid over it, too. Don't worry, and if you do, ask a stranger.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i'm embarrassed to sing in the shower, that tells ya how bad a singer i am :lol:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

There have been times when I've been asked to NOT sing.

Sounds good to me, I just get to play my axe.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:lol: thanks, feel a little better now

I assume singing while playin just takes practice and eventualy ill get the hang of it....I hope.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Yes , practice is all it takes.And recording too.

As someone has pointed out - Practice , practice more , rinse , lather and repeat. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Look at Bob Dylan....... probably one of the best songwriters, known for his definitely imperfect voice. The first few times I ever heard myself recorded I thought, "OMG! That's AWFUL!" That's what I've always thought whenever I've heard Bob Dylan sing. He's written some decent songs, but he should never have sung in public.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

"Hey can you sing solo?"

"Yeah sure"

"No, I mean so low I can't hear you"

rim shot please

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ba-da-BING!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I can sing decently if there is someone else singing also. I can harmonize moderatly. However, I'm not very good at singing by myself, I can't pitch right. Perhaps I'll work on that.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Danada

Sounds to me like you would like to sing, but are a bit uncomfortable singing in public. That's perfectly normal.

I believe anyone can sing. Look at all the great singers with terrible voices. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Joe Cocker, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristopherson.....
and on an on. None of these people have "pretty voices".

I have been watching American Idol this year for the first time. Most of the singers have well-trained voices. And most of them are terrible (in my personal opinion).

You have to understand your own voice and sing within it's limitations. Bruce Springsteen cannot sing high notes. Geddy Lee of Rush sounds like a girl. But both have learned how to maximize what they have.

Record yourself singing and really listen to it. And then work on it. Learn your weaknesses and stay away from those. Learn your strengths and make the most of them. With practice come confidence. If you really get your songs down you will probably find it much easier to sing in public.

There are some great websites with free voice lessons. You can really learn some great tips there, so study those.

But hey, if someone really hates to sing, then don't.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Darn, Wes, you want to encourage him! With the exception of Johnny Cash, I can't stand to listen to any of those folks you mentioned. EWWWW!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3