Skip to content
I find that playing...

Notifications
Clear all

I find that playing a nylon strung guitar is relaxing.

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Gchord
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing my Yamaha APX-5NA for a couple of days.No picks,fingers only and not plugging in.I find it very relaxing to play songs normally on a regular acoustic with a pick on a classical and using fingers.I've been playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and I got to admit that it sounds better when fingerpicked on a classical.Some of the chords are a little bit harder to play because of the wider fretboard,but the sound you get is rewarding. I can see why a lot of people love them.At 52 years and almost 30 years of playing,there's something new to learn everytime I pick up a guitar. So many stlyes,so little time.I wish I could play classical,but I don't have the money or resorces to afford the lessons.

David Hodge
(@davidhodge)

If you can already play what you do, it's not that big a stretch to move into classical. The biggest factor is getting comfortable with note reading and despite what anyone may say to the contrary, it's not that hard to learn if you can devote a little time a day towards working on it.

And if you can already read notes, then working with a good book, like Frederick Noad's "Solo Guitar" series can get you going in no time. If playing classical is truly something you want to do, make the time for it. You'll find it can help you out in many aspects of all styles of playing. You'll thank yourself for making the effort - in fact it sounds like you already are!

Peace

ReplyQuote
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Very nice sentiment. A good attitude too. I applaud you for being motivated to learn new stuff while being a veteran. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
Nuno
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I started with a classical guitar many years ago. Since I got back to guitars I have played electric and acoustic guitars. I don't play my that guitar now, it is broken in the neck, in the backside of the headstock, and I am afraid it breaks completely. They sound very good to me. By the way, I bought a DVD by Paco de Lucía this morning.

ReplyQuote
Alan Green
(@alangreen)

The nice thing about the nylon strung guitar, like the acoustic, is you can just grab it and play whenever you want to. No looking for cables, amps or power sockets.

I make a living with my classical guitar in my hands. I wouldn't have it any other way

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Bigfoot21075
(@bigfoot21075)

I have had my old Rokoman Classical Guitar for 35 years now. I started out with that guitar, they are a lot of fun and have a great mellow tone to them. They give new life to songs like Blackbird and such. It is amazing how my playing style seems to change when I am on the cat gut strings...

ReplyQuote