Skip to content
I forgot to tell yo...

Notifications
Clear all

I forgot to tell you all about my new guitar.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok so it's a pretty self-explanatory title. About a month ago I picked up a new guitar in trade...I swapped my MIM Stratocaster because since I got my MIA Telecaster, I simply haven't played the Strat. It's too close tonally to the Tele and I figure if I want a guitar with that specific sound and feel, I'd rather play the Telecaster every time because it's nicer and feels a lot better to play. Plus it's got some fantastically hot pickups (stock) that made me forget about the Strat, even though the Strat is a very nice guitar and I always enjoyed it.

So I found this guy on Craigslist and brokered a trade for a sweet Epiphone Dot Studio. But, as you can see in the pics below, it's not just any Epi Dot Studio...Here's the rundown of my new, unique tone machine:

1. New GFS tuners...the kind with mint green knobs, which I think is very sexy looking. They're smooth, accurate and much better than the stock Epis...I had been considering picking up a stock Epi Dot for years because I wanted a semi-hollow but the tuners were #1 on my list of things I didn't like about it.
2. New GFS P-90s. This was the seller. I've been dying for a p90 guitar. These are nice, clear, hot and QUIET p90s. I love them...they're fantastic.
3. All new electronics...100% replaced. Makes the guitar sound clearer and more defined.
4. Telecaster knobs for a cosmetic touch.
5. New GFS bridge/tailpiece combo instead of the Epiphone stopbar. Very nice look.
6. Les Paul Pickguard. Again, cosmetic, but so cool.
7. High-glossed top. Just the top is glossed, and it's pretty.

So I took it home, set it up for .13s and it's fantastic! It's a completely different sound and feel from the Telecaster, because of the different electronics and shorter scale length. Finally, a guitar that's different enough from my Tele that I actually want to put the Telecaster down for a few minutes and play something else. I'm very happy.

Pics! Sorry for the quality, my iphone doesnt like the light in my house, ever. Tell me what you think.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice guitar! It seems you improved every part. It has to sound really good.

Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nice guitar. I am quite a fan of P90s. I think they are making quite a surge. I've purchased a guitar to put P90s on. Now it seems like every line up has a p90 option.

Well, enjoy!! :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just realized the pics are messed up. I'm working on it.

Also, I didn't do these upgrades myself...the guitar came that way, which is why I was so happy to jump on it.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

It must be my viewer but I'm only seeing a fraction of the guitar. I love the red, though. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Right-click, view image will show the whole thing, full size.
The software that runs GN has trouble with big pictures.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote