Skip to content
I found MY tone! Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

I found MY tone! With the most unlikely object...

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A quarter yes a QUARTER! And of course a nice meaty bridge PAF and a classic sounding tele neck pickup into a TS808 into a Redknob Champ 12.

I really dig the Billy Gibbons / Zakk Wylde pinch harmonic technique. And I bought a cool book called "Guitar Licks of the Texas Blues-Rock Heroes" by Jesse Gress (AWESOME BOOK!). And in the Billy Gibbons section he said he used a Mexican Pesso for his pick to achieve pinch harmonics with ease. Well the auther just used an American Quarter so I tried it. Now dont get me wrong I can get harmonics with a pick easily. But the quarter just does SOMETHING to my tone. Its like my playing has opened up. I sware I can pinch a harmonic on EVERY string. Even my super heavy 13 top 58 bottom D'addario custom set strings, EVERY string. I know this technique is only one of many but I know this quarter will never be spent EVER!

And I sware pinch harmonics just sound wicked when used vaguely in a solo. One example would be I am playing a nice heavy jazz line like Tbone walker then I just pinch and vibrato a couple of end notes in the bar. It just makes my hair stand on end.

Ok enough rambling, just thought I would share my glorious moment. :D

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Congrats!! How about a clip?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

quarters have a nifty sound on an acoustic guitar.

interesting picks: soda can tabs.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Nice, sometimes I use a euro coin, 2 euros maybe I can't really remember, if was leftover change from a trip to St. Pierre. Has a great sound for tap solos.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I mostly use the 10/20 Eurocent ones because the rest of the coins are rather thick. The sound is okay but playing fast is near impossible and the damage to strings is not hard to see, even after a single session. The only reason I use coins is because I often forget where my picks are and I always have some change in my pockets.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on finding your tone. Yeah, if you can get harmonics like Billy Gibbons, that is some really good stuff. 8)

I've tried all sorts of things as picks, coins, washers, a pack of matches (the striker end), I even have a round piece of wood someone gave me called a Round-Tuit. It really makes a good pick. I used the fingernail on my index finger for years as a pick, my finger got really tough and calloused. I could even play pretty fast this way.

Still looking for that perfect tone though. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

eh this is just one small part of my TONE. But it really does give me close to what I want. Even though I have a bunch of tones in my head. I just havent found everything. But pick wise (for now my ears change!) I think I solved a piece of the puzzle. I still practice with the full freatboard chromatic scale trying to pinch every harmonic with a pick. I can do most of the 1-5 strings but that dang 6th string is tough as nails! Recently I have been finding a cool tone when I play lapsteel and do pulloffs and hammerons with the tonebar while pinching the harmonic! It is really hard to do but I do it every now and then.

Happy Pinching Guys!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Someone gave you a Round Tuit wes? Now you can do all those things you said you were going to do when you got a Round Tuit.

When I read the subject of the thread, I thought to my self "I bet he's discovered the quarter." Have fun with it!!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

When I read the subject of the thread, I thought to my self "I bet he's discovered the quarter."

Strange. When I saw the topic title I had visions of replacing the pickups with the tongues of camels. No idea how that would work but it the most unlikely object I could think of.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

When I read the subject of the thread, I thought to my self "I bet he's discovered the quarter."

Strange. When I saw the topic title I had visions of replacing the pickups with the tongues of camels. No idea how that would work but it the most unlikely object I could think of.

It most certainly is unlikely.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote