Notifications
Clear all

I guess I should sell or give my guitars

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

<...snip...> I listen to stuff I recorded about 5 years ago and think, "hmm - I'm a lot better than I was!" And that's the thing about guitar<...>

A couple of things about music:

1) No matter how good or bad you are, there is always somebody better and always somebody worse

2) You can dedicate your life to music and nothing but music from the age of 3 until you are 120 years old and you will never be as good as you want to be -- there will always be something else to learn, something you don't know yet and feel you should know.

So relax, enjoy yourself (remember that's why they call it playing music) and work on your skills to get as good as you can with the time you can allot for it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

And lets not forget emotion, some of the greatest singers and players put their hearts out on their sleeves when performing. Many of them not all that technically profecient, but their feeling.....oohh yeah, thats where its at.

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@louisc9999)

I've been playing for a long time now - got my first guitar in 1974. I still don't think I'm much good - but then, I listen to stuff I recorded about 5 years ago and think, "hmm - I'm a lot better than I was!" And that's the thing about guitar - every time you think you're getting nowhere, you can just concentrate on playing a few rhythm chords and singing a simple song. Every time you've learned something, someone'll show you something way over your head. And every time you're feeling self-doubtful, someone'll ask you to play that riff again - only slowly, so they can tell what you're doing.

There's always someone better than you - and there's always someone worse. There's always someone who can pick up any guitar and wail away on it, and.....there's always someone worse. I've been playing for, hmmm, 36 years now - another 36 years, I'll be 89 and probably still be working on songs from the 60's and 70's....but as long as I'm still compos mentis, I'll still be playing guitar and still trying to get better. Still be frustrated and fulfilled from song to song; and still probably writing my own songs, too.

Of all the pleasures I have, playing guitar will be the last one I give up - but make sure you bury my Tele with me so's I can rock in the afterlife......!!!!!

(Oh and don't forget the Cube - and a slide - and a capo - and a couple of sets of strings - maybe a couple of bottles of beer...if you're feeling generous....!)

:D :D :D

Vic

I LOVE this post and can totally relate.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2