Clear all

I guess the kid has a good ear!!!

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

OK... so back story.. I have two younger girls. 5 and 9, and ive been messing with guitar for about 5 years now. Over that time, I learned that the more time it takes to get ready to play... the less time you do, so in that line of thinking I got a cheapy Epiphone accustic that I picked up for free, setup, and leave in the living room so I can pick it up at any time. Well having two young kids around, it tends to get nocked over once in a wile, but also picked up by them, and played with. And Im fine with that... thats what its there for. Most I have to worry about is a small doll, or toy in the sound hole, or maybe a busted string. This thing is so tough, it would take a hammer to scrach the finish on it...

So the other day, my 5 year old is playing the guitar. Just strumming it and "plicking" some notes, and I hear her strumming a string, and the pitch going down down down.. So I alway say they can play with it... but dont mess with the tuners.. So she was tuning the string lower to hear the change, and I tell her to stop messing wiht them. So she says.. "I will fix it!" I cringe at that.... and start thinking about where that extra pack of strings are... so she puts it down and I make a mental note to check the tuning when I pick it up next.

Well later that night I pick it up, slap the tuner on it, and darned if it wasnt almost spot on in tune!!!!!!!! Wether its just luck... or the kid has a great ear I dont know, but when she brought that string back to pitch, she got it spot in!!! Yup... proud papa. :D :D

Paul B

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Somebody needs their own guitar for Christmas. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Cool story.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Get them a bass and some drums and get that family band rolling. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

LOL!!!!!!!!

Well she has a little cheapy yardsale gut string 1/2 scale I rebuilt for her sister.... and her sisters 3/4 Strat...

She's the music kid... When we go out to any event she always want to head over the the stage where the band is. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Somebody needs their own guitar for Christmas. :wink:
Hell yea!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i used to have perfect pitch as a kid. i think a lot of people do. it's something you lose, not generally something you learn. i guess the point is that it's good to encourage kids in music and so on while their spongy little brains are still picking stuff up fast.

ReplyQuote