Clear all

I Just Bought This! Sexy Beast, need advice

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I guess i'm slightly bragging again at another fabulous guitar purchase. But i wanna know some things.

Here is a picture anyway. Sorry but no famous wall paper on this one.

One thing i want to know is what wood you guys think the fret board is. Silly me forgot to ask and decided to buy it after testing it.

The main question i want to ask though is about maintanance and maybe modifications.
This guitar should last me a life time, if treated correctly. I want some tips about the best way to keep such an expensive, lovely specimen of guitar craft, and not just the obvious ones, your secret tips.

Also, what Mods have people done to tele's that have improved the tones and the general sound and playing experience. Finally i just want all your opinions on what an awesome guitar this is.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

should be rosewood.

some popular Tele mods are:

1. nut upgrade -- change plastic for delrin or bone or similar.
2. pup changes or upgrades

more esoteric:

3. reconfiguration of the control plate from current switch-volume-tone to volume-tone-switch. this involves swapping the tone and volume positions on the plate and flipping the switch around 180 degrees (on the plate) and finally flipping the plate 180 degrees on the guitar. this gets the pup switch out of the way, and puts the volume control in good position for pinkie volume swells
4. Changing the jack cup to something like an Electrosocket machined aluminum part.
5. installing threaded inserts into the neck and replacing the neck wood screws with oval-head machine screws. allows quick and repeated neck removal.

enjoy your new axe!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

what Mods have people done to tele's that have improved the tones
careful with that sacrilege...
I have it on good authority that there is no possible improvement that can be made to a Tele's tone, as it is the pinnacle of guitar design. :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what Mods have people done to tele's that have improved the tones
careful with that sacrilege...
I have it on good authority that there is no possible improvement that can be made to a Tele's tone, as it is the pinnacle of guitar design. :wink:

I thought as much. I have never heard so nice a tone from myself playing on an electric guitar. And they take any effect well too which is a good thing.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Teles I've met all have either rosewood or maple fretboards. YOurs doesn't look like maple, so I'm going with Grease on this one. looks a lot like rosewood, and I don't know of them using anything else.

About mods and whatnot; what do you play? "Improving" the tone on a tele (or anything else) is really subjective. If you're looking for classic rock, country twang, and maybe some bright blues, leave it exactly as is.

If you want something different...what?

And enjoy it. I am green with envy.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Playing classic rock, as well as some ballad style stuff, and some punky stuff.

I cant get over how nice it feels to play either.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i've got a strat in that color. love it.

is that MIM? MIA?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

MIA all the way - the features are the walnut sleeve for the trussrod and the American flat metal saddles. That particular string tree used to mean post-2001, but I'm not sure where they're at now, but it looks like the latest New American, rather than the more recently re-introduced American Standard with Strat-type saddles, and now, the American Special which might have a bunch of MIM parts? I think I see New Am/Deluxe string posts/capstans staggered down to the end?

Hmmm.... they don't make it any more. All the better! Now, a classic or vintage in the making? That's IMO.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&bodyShape=Telecaster%AE&pg=4

Since you asked, the guitar is wonderful! Really just wanted to suggest another mod - Fender's own 4-way switch.

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/4way.pdf and the product http://www.amazon.com/4-WAY-LEVER-SWITCH-TELE%C2%AE/dp/B0006ZNBKK The one in the link is a knock-off, but you have WD UK which is cheaper than Fender. That's okay.

It's still a Tele, with the original 3 tones, but you get series which a Danelectro can do with it's Blo-Switch, so why not crank a Tele, and make it go bucker-like ballistic? :shock: :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@jamminejohn)
Eminent Member

Tele's are fun.
P90's work nice in the neck.
I like 3 saddle bridges.

JJ

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Been playing it a lot recently, and i've decided, no modifications will be made. As said above, this would be sacralige to such a beautiful looking, and sounding guitar. Still really enjoying it.

Maintanance tips though? What will help me make this baby last me a lifetime?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Teles are generally pretty sturdy. Keep it clean, don't let it hang around in humidity so heavy it corodes, and play heck out of it!

DON'T drop it down the stairs or spill beer on it.

For making a tele last, that's all I've got. They seem to be built for it, and to last all by themselves. If you're really thinking of all your life, I'd get a hard case, if you don't have one.

I'd also mention that it won't stay all original all those years if you mean it to be a real played instrument. Pots wear out, things like that...

Best
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It came with a Hard case. Fender are kind enough to give a full kit to anyone who buys a MIA. Came with Hard Case, Lead, Strap (Which is a pain in the arse, the ends are made of cork :S) As well as a cloth and all the keys i need for maintanance. So it seems i'm set with it. I dont mind wear and tear from playing, I see them as kind of trophy scars So its all good!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

All depends on how you play it. Well, what effect's you use anyway. Played clean, the tele is a bit too country for my liking, but only on strums. The amp i bought with it, the vox one, has 22 in built modes for different styles of play, and this guitar takes to them all well. Wether it be the bluesy ones or the grungy ones, this tele sings like an angel through them!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Awesome gyutar. Though the thread name is false advertising. I thought you bought a BC Rich Beast, lol.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nah, i think that guitar is a 'sexy beast' that's sort of slang for awesome looking. And who can say that it isn't.

Did sell a BC Rich Warlock to contribute to the price of this thing.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2