I just won my first...

Notifications
Clear all

I just won my first eBAy auction!!

58 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I am pumped I just won my first eBay auction! I got a 25ft tweed guitar/instrument cable for $0.01 !! However shipping was $7.49 so for $7.50 I got a 25ft cable...That's good compared to what I have been seeing out there...I just hope its a quality cable. I saw several of the same cable from the same seller for $20 or more. So I'd say I got a deal.

Now I hope I get my V-Amp...if not I might get one of those Roland Mini Cube Amps...those things are COOL and they sound great considering there size. Plus they can run on 6 AA batteries! Great for going to the park and practicing!

(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I've got a mini cube and I love it. It sound awesome just on battery and lasts forever.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

That's good to know...I have heard so many good things about the Mini Cube...It would be so cool to be sitting in the park playing an electric guitar. It would definitely freak people out!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

congrats on the win!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Unfortunately someone ambushed me on the V-Amp I wanted! He waited until there was less than a minute and out bid me! I was sitting waiting for the auction to end and I hit refresh on my browser and I was outbid!

I guess you live and learn with eBay!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Yep, the key to winning eBay is in the last minute. I was outbid on easter eggs for goodness sake because I thought "Aww noone is going to be sitting there to ambush me on stupid easter eggs"

Sorry for your loss. Good luck next time. There will probly be more.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Be strong and patient with Ebay and good deals can be had.............

Just bid once....as much as you are willing to pay for something with taking shipping charges into account. The proxy bidding process will take care of it as the auction moves along.

Best to avoid last minute bidding wars. I have seen people gladly paying more for a used item than for a new one. Always know that if you do not win this one, tomorrow or the day after or next week you will see another one up there on auction.

My absolute best deal was for a barely used Ibanez acoustic amp in like new condition ($99 new in the store plus tax)......I bid $35 (adding in my head the $15 for shipping which would make it $50). Winning it for half price would have made me very happy.....but no one stepped on my initial proxy bid of $10!!! I couldn't believe it! Sometimes it is just timing and pure luck. $25 for a like new amp delivered to my door. :lol:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yea...the V-Amp's go for $99 new and $80 B-Stock at SameDay Music...

I figured with shipping I'll go as high as $60 (give or take a dollar)

But I was just at the store and I saw a magazine about eBay. They were talking about sniper programs that will bid for you on the last minute! I couldn't believe that!! People can't even be bothered to do their own bidding!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

People have to. When a whole lot of money is at stake and it is a matter of seconds it really isn't amazing many people need the help of conmputer programs. Lame, but understandable.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have never done anything on eBay so I am curious how things work.

More specifically how bidding vs. proxy bidding works. You say you bid $35 but no one touched your proxy bid of $10. Does that mean you set up a maximum bid of $35 but set the proxy bid to start at $10 and automatically increment to a max of $35 if necessary?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's an autobid that will automatically raise your bid once someone outbids you and stays within your budget. Sniper programs only increase your bid at the last few seconds, so others won't know you're laying an ambush, whereas proxy bidding is immediately obvious (and a build-in feature of Ebay). Proxy-bid can outbid a sniper program, depending on the timing of both bidders.

Best thing you can do is make a note of whatever item you like and come back in the final fifteen minutes and say till the end. Early biddings are usually pointless and only result in skyrocketing of the price.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Good guess on my part. Thanks

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Yes Nils, you hit it on the head! I was willing to go to 35 but no one stepped over my 10........big smile!

Arjen, I usual do my bidding during the last day or two of the auction. As you say, I have seen early bidding cause a snowballing effect.

I have never used a sniper program but I can see it's purpose if we were to be away on holiday during the last day of an auction for an item we would like to have. Other than that I do not see much purpose in the last seconds bids, they have no effect on me........I proxy bid my max and will not stray from that just to win an item I know I will see again. That is what I mean about being strong and avoiding bidding wars just to win. If I want something so bad and want it now, I just buy it outright for the best price I can find.

:)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've got a mini cube and I love it. It sound awesome just on battery and lasts forever.

Good to hear this. I just picked up one for use in an acoustic set (cheating, I know) on a boat, and was wondering if the batteries would hold out.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yea I was happy I got that 25ft cable for $0.01...even with $7.49 shipping it's still a good price at $7.50...

I hope I can find a good deal like you did Joseph...I have always been reluctant to use eBay because you always hear about the scams (going back a few years before eBay had more security features built into it. I felt the same about PayPal...but I'll tell you now I am addicted! Even though you are actually purchasing something you feel like you won the lottery when you win a bid... 8) !!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4