Clear all

I met Corky Laing (of mountain) tonight

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yep. Corky laing of mountain, wrote such songs as mississippi queen and nantucket sleighride. I went to a new gym right near my house and was chatting with the owner, he showed me the change rooms and there was this guy in there, talked to him a little. We left and the owner went to show me the rest of the gym and he says "do you know the song mississippi queen?". I, of course said yes. He then proceeded to tell me that that guy wrote it. Needless to say, I was flabber gasted and said no way and such, but he assured me. I came home, checked out his picture and sure enough it was him. I'm gonna talk to that guy next time I see him...anything specific I should ask him? :D

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Of course, I too would be star struck, but didn't Leslie West write Mississippi Queen?

In any case, it's super cool to meet folks you consider "greats". I'd be interested in hearing how future interactions go...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Of course, I too would be star struck, but didn't Leslie West write Mississippi Queen?

In any case, it's super cool to meet folks you consider "greats". I'd be interested in hearing how future interactions go...

I didn't question the owner :D ...but according to corky
"Regarding the band's best-known hit "Mississippi Queen," Laing says, "I was really influenced by The Band, so that the feel was my impression of "Cripple Creek. It's the same backbeat but Leslie took it pretty far. He just came in and ripped it up.""

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Mountain never had a top 40 hit in the UK....yet were heard every week... a little snatch of the instrumental section of "Nantucket Sleighride" was used over the credits of a very long running current affairs programme called "World in Action"....took me years to find out what it was, but I LOVE that record....!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Mississippi Queen is an old favorite of mine. Figured out how to play it in Open E or Open D, not too long ago. Probably heard the remake Ozzy put out recently on the radio and got inspired to think about it. I really like the bluesy slide resonator version by Omar and the Howlers, on the CD "Big Delta." I've got to get that out and listen to it (and see if I can rip any of it off!)
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote