I need a new axe ... suggest

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hiya

ma exmas are over .. and i'm on the lookout for a new axe ... cash is a constraint at this time ... so i'v decided on these few ...

yamaha pacifica 112 ,
fender squire affinity strat ,
ibanez grx40 / gsa 60 ,
washburn n1

i play everything in general .. but i'd like a guitar that's tone is as near to the bluesy dirty feel of clapton / knopfler as possible .... i know these r low end models but ....

wich one of em u think is best ?

:o

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

For you, from that lot, I'd suggest the Pacifica.

If you could stretch the extra $30US (or whatever it is where you're buying) the Squier Standard Fat Strat I tried the other day was really a very nice instrument as well. But I think the Pacifica will do what you want. It's fairly traditional and it give you the option of single and humbucker, which you'll want to cover Knopfler.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I'd 2nd Primeta - either of these would do you well. I'd prefer a Fat Strat, but then I've been Fenderised from a very early age. Yamahas are well built & balanced (I love their basses) and the Pacifica's a nice instrument - the 112MX is the one to go for, IMHO. Try 'em both - one will jump out at you and say, "Take me home," I've no doubt ;-)

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Just trying to add to the general confusion :)

Would an Epiphone LP be out of the question? I know there is a LP Special version that is pretty much in your price range as far as I can see.
Don't know the Special version as such but I have a Studio version - think the quality feeling of this relatively cheap guitar is great - oh - and I like the sound too :)

Good Hunting!

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

nothing like that.

In our place a givson elec is the best thing to go for.Cheap Rs 5000 and good tone.No lp copys made by givson though

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've played around with three of the guitars on your list, and I'd pick the Pacifica.

But also look at the Squier '51. Put some heavier strings on it, and it definitely gets a blues vibe. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well ...

ma minds also on the pacifica ... played 012 at a friend's place today ... with a gt - 6 .... sounded awesome ... pity he wont sell it me < btw is 012 inferior to 112 ... >

would someone care 2 elaborate ... wt does the "fat " in fat strat stand for ....is it jus the neck or the tone ...

thanx for the above advice

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html

uncle frank sez...

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

please understand guys , avichaks is from india.so don't suggest foreign retailers.....even me too.i wish rondo was in here...

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

uncle frank's probably

playing a 52 ' strat up there in heavens .....

RIP

ReplyQuote
(@avikchaks)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi rahul bhaiya ....

man all these brands ... Fender , washburn , yamaha , ibanez and even Rondo is available here in delhi ....

come to daryaganj at bhargava's or go to bharat music house at lajpat nagar ... near moolchand flyover ..

wher do u put up ?

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The Fat refers to the humbucker pickup, it's usually in the bridge. For Fender, a double fat strat has two humbuckers and no single coils. Actually the Pacifica could be called 'fat' as well.

The 112 has more traditional woods: alder and rosewood
012 uses agathis for the body and Sonokeling for the fretboard, which are cheaper woods, but not necessarily worse. It's a debatable point and a lot will come down to the choice of a particular piece of wood. Or at this price point, shear luck. Also on your ears. What I can't remember offhand is whether there's a weight difference between the two models.

Does Rondo go under the same name in India? And what's the mark-up like on these brands? I know even Canadian import duties can make things unattractive.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

EDIT: LOL, Primeta beat me to the punch. I responded with pretty much the same info.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Ah, you could have left it up slejhamer, I think you did a good job :)

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, you could have left it up slejhamer, I think you did a good job :)

Thanks, but your info was more complete! 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2