Clear all

i need some action

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have to admit, I do not know much about the physicality of a guitar. I just know how to play it poorly. I am trying learn more about guitars and amplifiers and all the other little gadgets. I know all of you that suffer from GAS probably didn't comprehend those first few lines so my question right now is about action. This has probably been asked before on this board but are there any benefits to leaving the action on your guitar a little higher? Or do you want the strings as low as they can go with out buzzing? How do you prefer your action, high or low or inbetween? Actually, I should say what is considered high and what is low and is there a normal? How much does the action affect your choice in buying a guitar? Basically, I know what action is but I don't know anything else about it but I have played guitars that do vary qiute a bit in string height. And lastly, it is measured in the 12th fret, right?

Thanks for all and any help

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

action can be changed..

lead guitarists want as little action as possible (without strings touching frets and so there is no buzzing)

which means when playing fast, you can just place your finger on the fret and play it instead of pushing down (as you would have to with a guitar with high action)

if you ever get a chance, look at Steve Vai's action on his guitars.. there is none!.. well, barely any.. makes playing a lot easier.

lower action usually goes hand in hand with string size, if you have big strings you will have higher action (so no buzzing).

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Some people feel that higher action gives them better tone. Personally, I think it's because they are changing the distance from the pickups to the string. At least I hope so, because I like the action as low as I can get without buzzing.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

I used to think the lower the better. Everyone seems to think that low action = superfast playing. After 15 years of playing, I realize that lower is not always better. If you play mostly chords, then I would recommend a little higher action so you can really let those strings vibrate and not worry about any buzzing. If you play mostly solos above the 12th fret, then I'd say the lower the better. The bottom line is that you can't go wrong setting the action high enough to eliminate all buzzing.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Everyone is different. I like the action on my guitar as low as possible, but not too low. I am aggressive on guitar so someone with a light touch could probably go lower than me. I hit the strings very hard at times and I will get fret buzz. But I've got them pretty low.

If the strings are too high it can affect your intonation. The notes will go sharp when you fret them.

If your strings are too close to your pickups you lose sustain. This is because the magnetic field pulls on the strings and stops them from vibrating. Plus, you can get a "boomy" bass, especially the low E string.
So I do not raise my pickups way high like some do. This again is a personal preference, someone else may like their setup just the opposite of me. To each their own.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As low as possible. It's hard enough hitting the right notes without having to feel like I'm punishing the strings while I play..

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I like the action as low as possible, even if it buzzes. Sometimes the buzzes don't get sent through the pickup anyhow so it's okay.

On the other hand I've gotten action too low where when I go to bend a string, the tip of my finger doesn't have enough to hold onto - or push into; it just sorta slips over the string while trying to push it. It depends on the shape of each individual person's fingertips I suppose.

But then again I don't do a lot of bends; mostly scalar things or jumps and slides, and then vibrato. Sometimes the 'I'm going to bend this and if it breaks it breaks' mood hits and I just have to have something to dig my fingertip into.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I like the action as low as possible, even if it buzzes. Sometimes the buzzes don't get sent through the pickup anyhow so it's okay.

On the other hand I've gotten action too low where when I go to bend a string, the tip of my finger doesn't have enough to hold onto - or push into; it just sorta slips over the string while trying to push it. It depends on the shape of each individual person's fingertips I suppose.

But then again I don't do a lot of bends; mostly scalar things or jumps and slides, and then vibrato. Sometimes the 'I'm going to bend this and if it breaks it breaks' mood hits and I just have to have something to dig my fingertip into.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I like havign some action. I have a hard touch and when I play on a guitar with praticly no action, my fretted notes are sharp.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

low as can go.. I have a touch of a buz on the low E, but it usually cant be heard...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Just a side thought :idea: but if you switch between electric and acoustic is it worth it to get the acoustic as low as possible and keeping the electric at a reasonable level. In this fashion switching may be easier if you can find a happy medium.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your responses. Seems most are on the side of low action.

Nils - that is a pretty good suggestion since my question came from the fact that my acoustic has the strings are pretty high off the fret board. Not in outer space, but I think on the high side. My electric however has really low action. When I play my acoustic first, the electric feels like I am not even playing. When I play the electric first, I feel like I have to make a huge effort to lift my fingers high enough off the strings on the acoustic.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

I used to think the lower the better. Everyone seems to think that low action = superfast playing. After 15 years of playing, I realize that lower is not always better. If you play mostly chords, then I would recommend a little higher action so you can really let those strings vibrate and not worry about any buzzing. If you play mostly solos above the 12th fret, then I'd say the lower the better. The bottom line is that you can't go wrong setting the action high enough to eliminate all buzzing.

i agree...i play solos and chord so i have a happy medium in there somewhere!! :D

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

You need some action? Get off this dang computer and go meet some chicks.

ReplyQuote