Skip to content
I need some help To...

Notifications
Clear all

I need some help Tone-Tuning my Marshall.

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@adaminspace)
Topic starter  

Hey Guys,
I own a Marshall JCM2000tsl100, and I absolutely love the amp, however, I've been finding that it's an acceptionally hard amplifier to fine tune (as far as treble, bass, mid go).
If you don't have the eq perfect, the tone sounds pretty rough, but when you tune it properly, it makes your guitar really shine.
I've acheived that before, but I lost it.
I'm really into the classic rock, and I'm looking for a sort of Cream sound. Eric Clapton's "Woman Tone".

I find alot of the time, you need to pump the gain for a heavy sound, but when you DO pump the gain, the distortion starts sounding too much like modern metal, and I try to avoid that at all costs.

any suggestions.

Stay Classy.

(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

I think you'll hafta keep tweaking and experimenting until you find the tone you're after. I use a Marshall 50W half stack, and I'm rarley satisfied with my clean side, but my distortion channel is perfect for my ears. You might also tweak your tone nob on your guitar as that has a huge effect on tone. Tone is subjective, so if I told you I have my overdrive at the 3'o'clock position, my bass at the 11:30, my mid at high noon, and my treble at 1' oclock you might think it sucks..... BUt for me it's perfect! Also, the pups you're pushing the sound with will make your settings unique. Once you find the perfect settings..... write it down and leave it! :)

PK

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

no harm intended... sell the amp get a better on. I personally hate marshalls, for two reasons, 1. they never sound good, 2 they suck... just my 2 pennies

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Suggestions will be mostly useless as it depends to much on the rest of the gear. Every guitar and pickup needs to be EQ'ed differently.
no harm intended... sell the amp get a better on. I personally hate marshalls, for two reasons, 1. they never sound good, 2 they suck... just my 2 pennies

You don't like it so he has to sell it because you don't like it and you don't like it? :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I find alot of the time, you need to pump the gain for a heavy sound, but when you DO pump the gain, the distortion starts sounding too much like modern metal, and I try to avoid that at all costs.

any suggestions.

I'd pump the gain and back off the treble in the EQ, get a separate treble booster stompbox for the times you need it

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

What sort of guitar do you have Adam? Strat style, humbuckers?

Just wondering

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Different strokes for different folks, Sly used to say. I love Marshall tone.

I have experimented a lot to get that famous "woman tone" that Eric Clapton made famous with Cream. Now here's how you get it, but I don't know if you will really be able to do this.

They say Eric would max out Bass, Mids, and Highs. And volume too! :shock:

Then you turn your tone knob on your guitar all the way down attenuating the highs.

That's it. :D

This really works, but you are gonna be making some real racket with a 100 watt tube amp cranked to max. But with the tone on your guitar turned all the way down it is far more pleasant sounding and does not seem as loud. Your highs will come out at high volume and be very smooth sounding.

This is how EC did it, but you can get close without all that. I will usually just set Bass, Mids, and Highs all on 7, turn the amp volume up to taste, but turn the tone on your guitar all the way down (very important to get this tone). This will get you very close, try it and see. You gotta have a little volume for it to work or it will sound muddy. The highs come out with volume.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@adaminspace)
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've tried that too, but it starts to sound muddy...
It might be my pickups, in which case, it'll probably just be best for me to tweak it from that setting....
but for further insight, I use a Gibson Les Paul.
No pedals, except for a Dunlop Hendrix Wah.
Hey, does anyone know if the "EC Crossroads" signature pedal covers his woman tone at all?

Stay Classy.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Adaminspace

That pedal has the "Sunshine of Your Love" preset, that is the tone you are looking for. :D
Yeah, I've tried that too, but it starts to sound muddy

That's how it will sound unless you get the volume WAY up. At lesser volumes I have found you don't want to max your tone setting on your amp out, or completely attenuate your highs on your guitar's tone either. So, like I said, I set everything to 7 (I got this from some famous player, can't remember who though), and do not turn tone all the way down, maybe to 4. But if you can really crank your amp up loud, it works.

I also play a Les Paul and this works for me. I can get that Sunshine of Your Love tone almost perfect. It's a great Rock tone that works for many songs. We play some Black Sabbath and I always use this tone for that.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote