Clear all

i play a looooot better stoned

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

this was brought to my attention fully the other night when, after a few puffs off a blunt, i stated playing this funky little bassline accompanied by what sounded like aliens attacking over top of it simultaneously, all in key. after that, i apparently started freestyling. woke up the next morning wanting to repeat it, but not within a million miles of being able to. unfortunately, i'm broke and have no connections.
someone send me some brownies. :lol:

(@margaret)
Noble Member

:lol:

Jason, you must know you are going to get into trouble with this post....

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i'll live.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Not to discourage you, but I thought that once too. I discovered however that I played the "Lime in the Coconut" riff continusouly for about 35 minutes when I was stoned. I thought it was great at the time.

On a side note, I've given it up now, just made me tired, I guess thats why I couldn't move my fingers from a C7 for half an hour.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Ignoring the legal implications of your request . . .

There's a lot of people who think that they "play better" when drunk, stoned, high, altered . . .

It's an interesting question -- lots of people have a certain level of performance anxiety that holds them back, even when there's no one around but themselves. For some people, a bit of chemical relaxation really can help them temporarily set aside their anxieties and they do "play better."

But that's really not a great way to address the issue.

Aside from the legal and moral facets of the question, the simple reality is that plenty of clinical evidence shows that even getting "a little drunk/stoned/high" does negatively impact performance -- both physical and mental.

You aren't more skilled when stoned.

So the real question is "how do I get to where I can express myself as freely straight as I feel I can do when stoned?"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Almost certainly this will cloud the issue rather than clarify it, but what the heck....

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2572846&page=1

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I agree with Kingpatzer.

You only think you do better when altered. :D

Now don't get me wrong I am a live in let live kinda guy, but I know there is a lot of music that I used to listen to that I thought was good (not naming any names) but then I listened to it straight and found out it sucked.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

well, i know from recordings that alcohol can impair, but as for weed, well... anyway, if i could figure out how to replicate what i was doing, then i'd believe that it is a hinderer, but so far, i can't.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've on RARE occasions gotten into a mental state where music just flowed out of me, without any mind-altering substance, and been totally unable to replicate it later. I've also dreamed I was playing terrific stuff, and what I was doing with the instrument was "real." That is, if I could replicate the motions while awake, the same sounds would come out. But I can't do it without concentrating too much for it to happen.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It doesn't count if you're friends are stoned too. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I can't even tune the guitar, let alone play something.

I mean I imagine if such a thing were to happen.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I'm good looking and irresistable to women when 'under the influence'.

But try as a I might I just can't replicate it the next morning. :P

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Playing stoned doesn't actually make you play better. It'll make you sound better to yourself and possibly other stoned individuals. But, it will not have any positive effect on your playing.

What you played when you were high was something that was already in you. You just have to learn to tap into it w/o having to take an illegal substance. Simple as that...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

you can believe what you want. i remember what i was doing. noone else was high except me and one other guy.

anyway, tell bob dylan, bob marley, jimi hendrix, the beatles, etc that it's just the weed that makes them think they're doing something.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

you can believe what you want. i remember what i was doing. noone else was high except me and one other guy.

anyway, tell bob dylan, bob marley, jimi hendrix, the beatles, etc that it's just the weed that makes them think they're doing something.

LOL. How about you try telling them that it was the weed that was responsible for them sounding so good. :lol:

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2