Clear all

I think I'm going insane...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've just discovered the holy grail that is powertab but I am having so many problems it's unbelievable!!!
I have managed to install from sitel the powertab archiver-I have even registerd with the powertab archive-my problem arrises when I try to unzip the powertab file-it's saying it won't let me!!!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Two questions:
1 -- What's your operating system? Some of the folks around here are very computer literate (unlike me), but they might need to know if you're using Windows and which version or a Mac if they're to help

2 -- Have you also downloaded the WinZip software? You'll need that utility to unzip the files?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greenstuart)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Musenfreud,
I'm running Windows 2000 professional which to my knowledge has winzip built into it-I hope it will work on my operating system...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Have you tried saving the file and after you save it, right click and extract the contents of the file? Try to save the file in the PTEditor folder.

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member

what exact error message do you get?

Access is denied?
or read/write error?
or etc...?

Sometimes downloading causes loss of data and especially compressed files get damaged rather easy (it happens more often than I'd like to wish it would). So if it's a read/write error than re-downloading the file(s) could fix the problem.

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

OK greenstuart, we are going to get you running. I have old Windows 98 and PowerTabs works perfect for me, so it has to work for you. I just downloaded a tab to see exactly how I do it. Try this.

1)Go to PowerTab archive and find the song you like.
2) Click on "Download Zipped Tab"
3)A box called "File Download" should pop up. Click on "Save"
4)A box called "Save As" should pop up. Now for me this is for the Desktop. I don't want to save it there. In the box below you will see folders you can save this file to. I always go to "My Documents", so click on and highlight My Documents (or wherever you want to save it) and then click "Save" on the lower right.
5)WinZip should open up automatically. You will see your song title in the box that appears. It should have the PowerTab icon. Right click on this and click "Open"
6) The song should open right up and be completely functional.

If it still refuses to work, perhaps you did not download PowerTabs correctly. Go to My Computer, Search (or Find) and type in "PTEditor.exe"
without the quote marks. This is your setup file. Right click and hit "Open".
Go through the entire process again.

Before you do that, it might be a good idea to run Scan Disk. Perhaps your drive has errors on it.

You might also might open WinZip. Download the newest upgrade. Perhaps you have an old version.

If this does not work, go back to Sitel and download the PowerTab Editor all over again.

This should fix it. Please write back and let me know if this works. There are a few other things you can try.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote