Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

i want to become the greatest musician of all time.

Page 3 / 5

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

This prediction is based on the "multi-culturalism" trend. I can't stand her music, but it is extremely "politically correct".
Man I hate PC. Gotta be at least a song's worth of hatred... :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

gimme a break. it has nothing to do with multiculturalism. it's just catchy, extremely well produced music.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member

My favorites are about the fat guys. But seriously if you want to be that good you simply have to practice. Some say the really good have natural ability or a gift from God, but it's really hours of practice. I read an article by Steve Vai and he said a lot of kids come up to him and say they would do anything to be able to play like him. He tells them practice 12 hours a day for 20 years.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

First of all set a realistic goal. Something like "Being the best musician you can be." A goal which you can reach and don't have to kill yourself should you find someone better then yourself. Find some great musicians that you can hang around and learn all you can from them. Be careful, notice I didn't say have them teach you. Some great musicians you will find are poor teachers, but you can learn from them. Find someone who can teach you, and let them.

Practice is good, more practise is better, but make sure it is practice that is getting you better and teaching you more. You can practise scales all you want, but if you never learn how to put them into musical context, you find you are just the greatest scale player (not necessarily bad if that is your goal :-)). Know when to walk away for a little bit, and know when to push it past when you should have walked away, so that you know you can.

Live and experience life and capture that in your music. There are numerous other inputs that other people have and will give (all very good), but if you focus on a goal such as the example stated above, you can always be successful and happy with yourself. Sometimes as you are living and experiencing life you will find that other things become more important, and being the best musician you can be is still something you can live with.

And remember if the time comes where you are successful kick butt and take initials (no time for names). But don't ever forget where you came from and the fact that you didn't get yourself there. Some of the greatest musicians of all time would never believe they are the greatest, they will always point to others first. You will never become great yourself unless there are a large number of great people around you that helped you get there. Just my 2 cents...

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

gimme a break. it has nothing to do with multiculturalism. it's just catchy, extremely well produced music.
Catchy, well-produced music... that you'd never have even heard if she wasn't the right image for the record label?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member

Catchy, well-produced music... that you'd never have even heard if she wasn't the right image for the record label?

Aw jees... Nelly Furtado (forgive spelling). :| I thought she could actually sing (I'm Like a Bird) , too, before she went hip-pop. Now, I hear Promiscuous (spelling once again) four times in a day, blocking out good music. Oh well. It's a flawed a system.

ReplyQuote
(@mcrkid22)

Pretty big claim.... Good luck though!

"Rawk!"

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

You're in luck. I can help you. But I don't work for free. If you can afford to put me into a very early and lucrative retirement and put all my unborn kids through college, let's talk. Help me help you.

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Trusted Member

if you have to ask....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

jason,

maybe you could go down to the crossroads and try to make yourself a deal, robert johnson did it
just kidding, don't even think about it 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Rocker: been there, tried that. He said my soul was so bitter and sarcastic he had to charge me to take me in. I tried to haggle but it was like trying to talk a Dutch bartender into giving a discount. Quite the disappointment,I dare say.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

now thats goog rofflmfao

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You can achieve your goal step by step.

Step 1: Identify and locate the world's greatest musician.
Step 2: Kill him or her.
Step 3: Go back to step 1.

Remember to come out of the loop when you've achieved your goal.

Alternatively, why not just be the best you can be? Everyone will respect you more for it, especially all those better musicians, grateful to have been spared.

:D :D :D

Hilarious!

At least Mozart and Bach are already dead so.... oh, wait, there's a problem right there ... you can't kill the dead...unless you like zapping zombies in Computer games of course.... but I've never spotted Mozart lurching towards me yet....

If you want to overtake those guys you're going to have to run REAL fast, and you'll need to start the sprint when you're about two years old. Are you older than two yet?

Ah... rats.... too late then...

Cheers,

Chris
Personally I'm shooting for 5,999,999,999 th best, and I'm closing on it fast...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm part way there - I'm the best lead guitarist, rhythm guitarist, bass player, keyboard player, harmonica player and drummer in my house, and it's likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future....and you know the great thing? I've still got LOTS of room for improvement.....

Nothing wrong with setting your sights high - wasn't it Casey Kasem who used to say, "Keep reaching for the stars - but keep your feet on the ground....?"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Honorable Member

The Beach Boys'Brian Wilson proved he could have been the greatest musician of all time..until he heard Sgt Pepper from the Beatles..and then he became a bit, er..psycho. What is the moral of the story?

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5