Clear all

I want to learn some blues...

39 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Any secrets to avoiding this (I know! I know! PRACTICE!)...

Also, does the beat go da-da da-da da-da da-da ?

Thanks

Mike,

Sorry about the first one. The answer is practice.

And yes, it sounds like, da-da - da-da........

I'll see if I can post a quick sound clip for you, that is if you want.

Mike

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Well I'm gonna give it to you weather you like or not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Audio section. My site is still a work in progress, but your there for the sound clip anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I'm gonna give it to you weather you like or not! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Audio section. My site is still a work in progress, but your there for the sound clip anyway.

Thanks MIke...I appreciate it!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

This is a great thread. I often find myself grasping at straws when it comes to theory but I followed this easily.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

It works with barre chords and a mix of the correct chords.

EDIT - What happened to your question, Max???????????

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

LOL

I re-read all of the posts and realized the question was already answered. So I modified my post.

thanks though.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Are 12 bar blues always played with power chords?

No, not at all. Here's a link to a 12 bar blues in G. I've done some chord substitutions (nothing radical), but you should be able to figure out close to what I did using the basic theory and dominant 7ths (I.E. G7, C7, D7)

The song is Jelly, Jelly.
Here: http://www.soundclick.com/artist/8/jamesproject_music.htm

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

CRANK THAT TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JELLY JELLY JEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Edit- It's been a while sense I heard that. I think almost a year since you posted that? I LOVE that tune!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Man that is awsome!

It should be recorded.

You have raised another question though. Can you just take the chord progressions and make the 7ths or minors. It looks to me like you just took the progression in the key of G and made the chords 7ths.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Jelly Belly?

So you like women with some meat on their bones huh? :wink: :wink:

By the way that is EXCELLENT!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Man that is awsome!

It should be recorded.

You have raised another question though. Can you just take the chord progressions and make the 7ths or minors. It looks to me like you just took the progression in the key of G and made the chords 7ths.

Yes, but minor blues can have some pretty neat variations. I think I once saw a minor blues with the same type of progession except the I and IV was changed into minor and a flatted 6th chord was added before the 5th.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

CRANK THAT TUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JELLY JELLY JEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Edit- It's been a while sense I heard that. I think almost a year since you posted that? I LOVE that tune!!!!!!!!!

Aw shucks . . :oops:
Thanks!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Man that is awsome!

It should be recorded.

That's it in a nutshell! Good ears, Max. I substituted a barre G7 in the I chord slot, with a little pinky action on the B string to toss in a 6th and another b7 to get a little motion in there.

Now, while a domininat 7th would work just fine for the IV and V chords, I did something slightly different. Can you hear what I did there?

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Jelly Belly?

So you like women with some meat on their bones huh? :wink: :wink:

By the way that is EXCELLENT!

As Southside Johnny said: "It ain't the meat it's the motion, It's the movement in the groove that makes it rock."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Sorry to butt in again...

Try "Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman. It's a quite slow-paced, 12-bar blues song. The tabs I've seen seem to disagree as to what key it's in. I play it starting at F# and I use dominant 7 chords to give it a more "blues-y" feel.

yea, see if you can dig up a copy of Eric Clapton doing that song with her unplugged it's one of my favs also. i think it's a good beginning or intermediate song to play along with also

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3