Notifications
Clear all

I want to learn some blues...

39 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

I don't think I've heard that version, Lefty....but I'd like to. I'll have to see if I can find it.

It's a great song, and it has some personal significance for me as well :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I'll tell you I thought that with the history of my life the way it is, playing the blues would come naturally! :wink: :wink: :wink:

However I am finding that even the simple Blues Shuffle:

Can be QUITE challenging! I am having a couple issues...first just hitting only 2 strings can be tough (especially the D & G strings), and then the chord changes. I can do both seperately but I am having difficulty putting them together...

SIGH

Learning to play the Blues is giving me the BLUES! :( :( :( :(

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Can be QUITE challenging! I am having a couple issues...first just hitting only 2 strings can be tough (especially the D & G strings), and then the chord changes. I can do both seperately but I am having difficulty putting them together...

Mike I just wanted to ask if you are keeping your index finger planted on the second fret. Use your ring finger to play the fourth fret and just walk down and up again with those two fingers.

Strumming two string should also come fairly quickly. Slow it right down if you have to. It sounds good even at a very slow tempo anyway.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@snarfy)
Estimable Member

Mike, I play that particular shuffle with my finger, instead of a pick. I play it like you would if you were playing a bass. To my untrained ear, it sounds ok. I also have a bit of trouble hitting only the two proper strings when using a pick. I wonder what I should do about that problem??

Oh yeah......practice :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike I just wanted to ask if you are keeping your index finger planted on the second fret. Use your ring finger to play the fourth fret and just walk down and up again with those two fingers.

Strumming two string should also come fairly quickly. Slow it right down if you have to. It sounds good even at a very slow tempo anyway.

Actually I have been switching between the E and D chord since they are chords used alot in blues (from what I have been told anyway?) Plus I figured I'll have to get used to forming the chords anyway to incorporate more notes/strumming/fill. I never thought of doing it your way..I'll have to try it tomorrow...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Playing the blues shuffle is easiest in open position, and that is easiest when done playing in A. The chords used would be A, D and E, and they would all be the same riff on a different string (5th, 4th and 6th respectively). So yeah, practicing the D and E chord shuffles seem like a good way to get into it.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Playing the blues shuffle is easiest in open position, and that is easiest when done playing in A. The chords used would be A, D and E, and they would all be the same riff on a different string (5th, 4th and 6th respectively). So yeah, practicing the D and E chord shuffles seem like a good way to get into it.

Thanks Arjen...I guess I'll keep hammering away at it until I get it!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I've just quickly read through some of the posts so i'm sorry if this sounds redundant (if it does, i don't know): try memorizing the notes at first and try just tapping the rhythm on your guitar... try tapping the rhythm while you're just sitting around or something until it becomes second nature. The great thing about that pattern is that it's easy to memorize, you could practice while talking to someone or watching tv and with practice you'll have it in no time whatsoever.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I've just quickly read through some of the posts so i'm sorry if this sounds redundant (if it does, i don't know): try memorizing the notes at first and try just tapping the rhythm on your guitar... try tapping the rhythm while you're just sitting around or something until it becomes second nature. The great thing about that pattern is that it's easy to memorize, you could practice while talking to someone or watching tv and with practice you'll have it in no time whatsoever.

Steve-o..the patterrn isn't the problem...that's the easy part...it's only hitting the 2 strings and then switching the chords at the same time....I can do all of them seperately fairly easily...but put them together ansd it sounds like 2 cats fighting on my guitar! :cry:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3