Clear all

i was invited to join a band today...

24 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

our school and a few others being out on an excursion (the career's expo....they're trying to help us decide what we want to become, but only making us more confused..), some chap approached me and asked me if i was a guitarist.

i asked how he guessed, and he pointed to my shirt (the Fender bird and logo). without much further ado at all really he asked me if i would be interested in joining his thrash metal band. i told him quite honestly that i'm really just a beginner and i've only been at it for a while, and that i wouldn't really feel up to it.. but he told me that he'd only been playing seriously for a couple of months himself, and that it doesn't really matter as long as i can play power chords fast ...

he gave me his phone number and email address, and told me to think about it... and now this is where i'm stuck. should i join a band with people i've never seen or spoken to before in my life, of a genre that i'm not particularly interested in... while being almost a total beginner? (it's not that i don't like metal but i like to wear as many hats as i can ..)

i'm scared to talk to him again because of this, but at the same time i'm afraid because i might never get another chance to join a band. i don't have many friends where i live, and none of them are particularly interested in music... also what really struck a chord with me was that this was at the careers' expo ....... what should i do? :(

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Normally I would say 'just do it'. However, since that guy said 'all you need to do is play powerchords fast' I would give it a second thought. Does that sound like the kind of music you want to play? If so, go. If not, thank him and carry on. There'll be other chances later on, don't feel forced to jump on this one.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Well if thats the sort of music you wanna play and only that then why not. But I dont think its a good idea to join a band if you dont feel ready. Would you wanna incorporate lightning fast solos? If you can't do that, maybe you should wait a while. There will be other chances to join bands.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Tell him you wouldn't mind coming to a rehearsal to check things out, jam a little, shake hands. Meanwhile you're checking out the vibe, if these are guys you could work with, if they're serious, if they seem like they practice at all. The genre/type of music that's supposed to be played might only be that one guy's opinion. He's probably the leader, but that doesn't mean that all the rest of the cats are into the same thing. You might have to play what he expects, but in the meantime you get a few phone numbers and make connections with the other guys, so maybe, in the future, when they get burned out on what their leader is doing, or the direction the band is going, they can give you a ring.

You certainly can go to a rehearsal without throwing your lot in with them, you know? You'd be auditioning the band as much as they were auditioning you.

And you might come out with some contacts for future use. :)

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

This is a question noone should ever ask. Noone else knows what you want from your music.

But since I was in your spot a few years ago Ill say this. Theres a jazz band in my town, real technical and excellent musicians. 5 members all schooled in music theory and jazz history. They live and breathe the stuff. Im more of a Dave mathews fan myself, but oh wait.... most of the members of DMB were jazz musicians.

Long story short, been playing with them for over two years now, and I know more extended chords, proggressions, melodies and notation then I ever would have learned playing DMB and pink floyd tabs all day. Music is music, Im not a huge jazz fan but I love my guitar and love to make it talk to a crowd. What do you love?

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Long story short, been playing with them for over two years now, and I know more extended chords, proggressions, melodies and notation then I ever would have learned playing DMB and pink floyd tabs all day. Music is music, Im not a huge jazz fan but I love my guitar and love to make it talk to a crowd. What do you love?

My stories exactly the same, except I love jazz and playing jazz just as much as anything else! :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Normally, yes. But if the 'leader' tells you before you played one note you should only play powerchords, how much can you expect to learn? But as demo said, no harm in trying.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've been in a couple of bands where, come to find out afterwards, it was just to meet one particular person in that band. One of the best bands I was ever in was formed 'from the ashes' of another, so to speak.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Give it a try. You'll have fun. See what develops. I don't think he meant you'd have to restrict yourself to powerchords. I think he was simply saying that although you expressed some hesitation because you consider yourself a beginner, you'd be able to contribute so long as you could play the powerchords.

It's bound to be a rush. Have some fun. But mind I haven't a clue what thrash metal is. But a jam session or two should be fun. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Do it for sure. You need experience playing with other people. Doesnt really matter what you play, you should mainly just try to play with other guys. It really helps with rhythm and knowing how to play with others and still make it sound good. Also try to get some gigs (even if you suck or they are stupid gigs). Get as much experience playing on stage as possible as well.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I'd say it's worth looking into, you could get together and see how it works out, maybe that powerchords comment was just to keep you from feeling you had to more than just a beginner. maybe if you get along well the band may find it's interests broadening beyond thrash metal, or maybe you'll find you like it more than you thought. Anyway, you might meet some folks that you can play with at a future time. Hard to say how those things can turn out. Just make it clear to them that if you decide to get together for a couple practices that doesn't mean you're commiting yourself to being "in the band". You'd have to see how it works out first and only you can decide if you're comfortable with it.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I played guitar for this afterschool pop-jazz band at my school, I love playing guitar and performing but I hated playing in this band. The people in the band were great but we had a teacher and he was sort of the bandleader, he was very strict and took the fun out of everything. Do I regret playing for them? No, actually playing for a band like that gave me a good idea of what a soundcheck was like and what it meant to play in a band. As well, I didn't know half the chords I know now (since it was a jazz band, I learned alot of 7th and 9th chords). Anyways, I would just go and see what this band you got invited to join is like and go from there.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

To steal a phrase I heard somewhere..Just do it!!!!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, as I read the thread I thought of the series about the Dinosaurs running on the home page of GN. I very, very seldom read fiction but those articles have been fun and kinda remind me of your situation. If you have not read the story, it's about 4 kids who live in a room called the “Black Lagoon.” They are pretty inexperienced as far as their music and quite lazy (I'm not saying you are—just them in the story). They get a kick start and really start growing individually and as a band. Ultimately, they end up producing some music in I think a week. Now that's progress.

DO IT! 8)

1. You feel you're not experienced enough. Okay, I hear you because I use that excuse all the time. Are you as shy as me? Or can you go into a room and play something? Who cares. Treat this like you did your Speech 101 class. You'll get wickedly nervous but you'll get through it.
2. You don't particularly like metal. My friend, I went to OzzFest the past 3 years. Twenty some metal bands thrashing out 200 bpm and screaming into the mic. I don't like it but it's an experience. I don't much like Country music—but if I were asked—I'd join a Country band. Why? Experience. You can always get into another band later.
3. You don't know the guys. Yea, but how the heck are you going to meet new people? Through acquaintances and friends.

I like the suggestion that was mentioned to go over there and check out their practice. Play a little with them and tell ‘em you'll call them to let them know if you're interested and vice-versa.

Please let us know what you decide and why (along with follow-ups if you do join)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

I know the thread isn't about shyness but, well maybe it is!

I can't play for family, I even have trouble infront of my teacher pretty often. But I think that's more "Oh no! I didn't practice enough". Even though I never put the thing down.

Even after I learn a song, it has become so easy I feel like playing it for someone is just silly cause it's so simple... Which is a horrible never ending loop. =/

Weird how things I was AMAZED with before are just... easy...

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2