Notifications
Clear all

i was invited to join a band today...

24 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I think I have a tool to let you know just how NOT easy things are like playing guitar. Say you've been playing a few weeks, months or years. You feel your stuff is still not worth of praise for what you've accomplished. Okay, ready to get to feeling good about your playing again? It's really easy. Go get your guitar. Do you have it strapped on now? Got your pick? Okay, pick a song or even part of one you play. Play it. Did it sound reasonable? Either way, now flip your guitar around. Yea, rightys play lefty and vice-versa. Did you hit any notes right? I doubt it. Now you are back to the true beginner stage and you can see you've traveled a long, long way in your playing.

Any time you feel bad or uncertain about your play flip the guitar over and you'll be instantly cured. Do you realize how much muscle memory you've acquired in both hands, arms, and body in general. That exercise just showed you. As Ryan Spencer would say, “Rock on!”

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

wow.. i wasn't expecting this many responses...

thank you for all your kind words. i think that i will give it a shot, though it's easier said than done i guess. i'll see how it goes and post more about it here..

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd be surprised if you didn't learn something from going along and treating it just like a one-off jam session. go and have fun.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

Just go jam with him and see what happens. Have fun. Maybe you'll make a new friend. Or you might find yourself in a band. It's got to start sometime.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i would go for it if i were you i went through a similair thing a while back. Don't worry too much about the fact that they player power chords he said he hasn't been playing for that long anyway, if you guys get along and get better at playing that's sure to change.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

Always look into every opportunity, You never are going to know if it is right for you until you try. Go try it out, see what the band is about, meet the musicians in the band (they might remember you when they put together their next band if this does't work out for you), Then give them one off three awnsers: 1)yes I would like to join the band, 2)no this is not what I want to do right now but thanks for the offer, or 3) I'm not really ready right now but I would like to jam with you guys every once in a while.

Here are some things to think about when joining a band:
1)The music- is it something that you are going to enjoy playing
2)The musicians-can everyone get along and be able to have input in the band
3)Are they serious-do they really practice, add song to their set list, write songs and improve or do they just want to jam to the same 5-10 songs and party all the time.

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member

In your postition honestly i would not join the band. I ve been in that situation before and i didnt join the band even thought i knew the people. However i dont regret my decision.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

who knows what couldve happened if you DID join though idiot...nothing bad could have come of it.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@wrath_within)

I guess that means you'll be rhythmn, and another person will be lead? Otherwise your metal band won't be that great buddy.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2