Clear all

Identify this Strat (update)

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey. I've seen a strat which is supposedly 1980s USA made. The serial number is A019497
It has a Kahler trem and a single gold humbucker with just a volume knob.
I can't identify it from Fenders dating guide...Can anyone help? :?

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hmmm...I'm a tad suspicious.
Turns out to be a Japanese made strat.
http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php

Now it could be the one near the top of the list.
But seeing as the serial ends in 97, you'll notice at the bottom it could also be a strat that was made from 97-98...Would I be correct in assuming the last 2 digits indicate the year? It can't be just a big fat coincidence...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250246784239&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:uk#ebayphotohosting

But then again...the Kahler trem...Who uses those past the 80s??? Certainly not Fender right? Damn. Im confused. :cry: :?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

IMHO, it is a modded Japanese Strat. The pickup and pickguard don't look like anything stock I have seen from Fender. Can't tell if the Kahler tremolo is original. But, none of that means the guitar is "bad." I would be careful though, since the seller has only one feedback.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The serial number itself has nothing to do with the date, it's simply where it came in the production, during a specific period, which is supposed to be denoted by the letter at the beginning. Prior to Fender introducing the 2 letter code (Country of manufacture/decade) there seems to have been some lack of coordination, shall we say, in issuing serial numbers - there have been a couple of periods when both Japan and the US were issuing the same numbers.

I think that Fender calls their Japanese production "Squier". The earlier models were called "Made in Japan" and the current stuff is called "Crafted in Japan" - I don't know the cut-off date, when the change took place, though (mid 90's?).

I also thought that Fender had dropped the 8-hole scratchplate in the early 60's, in favour of the 11-hole. If that is the case, it could be some kind of re-issue.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Simon, post your question on the FDP; they'll know.

But I'll bet it's the first mid-80s serial, unless it specifically says "Crafted in Japan" on it, which would make it the late-90s serial.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

If it were me. I'd walk away from this one.

Only because to have a strat is to have a strat. Not just a hummer in the bridge position. I want three single's or an H-S-S configuration. Also, what's with the FR on that thing?

Naaaa, I'd walk. If I wanted a FR on a guitar I'd get a Jackson, Ibanez or something else, but not a Strat.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah. Think I am gonna pass on this one...I think it looks seriously cool. But I would want at least a modicum of tonal variation, and buying new pickups n pickguard...bah! If only I was stinking rich, I'd be pillaging ebay of unique, rare and fancy guitars all day long! :roll:

ReplyQuote