Clear all

Idiot band leaders

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

ChordsAndScales.co.uk

I completely agree with you on the rehearsal versus practice thing, but in reality almost every band has a member (or two) who does not practice during the week. So sometimes you have to go over parts of a song. Like Metallica sang, Sad But True. :D

Although kingpatzer may have been playing a voicing that did not fit the style of music, the bandleader was pretty rude. It was kingpatzer's first practice, even the very first song. So, he could have suggested a different voicing in a kind way.

When joining a band that is already established, there is a period where the new member should be given time and patience to learn the songs and style of the band. After this the new member can start to make their own contributions to the band. So this guy was very rash.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Actually, the voicing fit the song just fine. It was a cover and as far as I could tell, was exactly what was being played in the original recording.

But, I wouldn't mind being told my ear is off, or that another voicing is more appropriate. Either of which is perfectly valid direction.

I also don't mind criticism of how I'm playing a tune -- that it should be a different rhythm, or if it should have had some other aspect changed.

But to tell me that the chord isn't the right chord, when it is, and then talk down to me as if I have no clue what I'm doing, really irked me.

In short -- direction, even if I don't particularly agree with it, is fine. I'll do what the band leader wants, that's my job.

But some moron simply getting factual things wrong and then insulting my ability as a musician when he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about -- that's just not going to be something I stand for ...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I still can't believe you didn't call him on thinking and A was a C. It would be interesting to hear an explanation of what led him to think that.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

But some moron simply getting factual things wrong and then insulting my ability as a musician when he doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about -- that's just not going to be something I stand for ...All perfectly reasonable, IMHO. In fact, you walking away instead of ripping him to shreds by showing him how little he knows was positively charitable. Just remember that common sense is by no means common. :(

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2