Notifications
Clear all

If you could only get one pedal?

21 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to steal the thread, but I have a question. That tubescreamer, how does it create distortion? Does it overdrive the amp or does it create the harmonics artificially?

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Not sure what you mean by "artificial."

It's an analog circuit, but it doesn't over drive the amp, it changes the signal.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Overdrive is just less harsh than Distortion, and a lot smoother and more natural. When it comes to harmonics, all of that is picked up by your pickups.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I run my guitar thru a Boss ME-50. So that can give me several effects. If I had to choose a single effect. I would probably say an EQ or a delay. My two amps I run my ME-50 thru, both have really good overdrive/distortion, and not too bad clean channels. A wah is great, cause it can add different tones. It would need to be a really versatile wah. Right now, I don't feel I need any more effects. I might like to play around with some stuff, like the Jimi pedal or a loop pedal.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

TS-808 it will never let you down! It makes my HRD scream on clean and burn on drive. Its a definite must have for anyone!

Not to mention it turns my cranked Valve Junior Combo into a marshally' sounding monster!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Sorry to steal the thread, but I have a question. That tubescreamer, how does it create distortion? Does it overdrive the amp or does it create the harmonics artificially?

The tubescreamer creates distortion with diode clipping, although it's often used in front of clean tube amps as an overdrive.

I built mine from http://www.buildyourownclone.com - $75 and a few hours of work.

At first, I thought it was sort of boring. It sounds exactly like every rock and roll guitarist you've heard, which is because they all used the tubescreamer. The TS-808 is a fantastic choice for a first pedal!

I'm getting a Subdecay Blackstar for Father's day - it's for the heavy metal overlord in me.
http://www.subdecay.com/

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2