Clear all

I'm a lucky Dog

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last Friday my supervisor at work asks me if I am interested in some recording equipment. I thought he wanted to sell it to me. So first I ask him what he's got. He tells me a Yamaha RM1608 Recording Mixing Board, a Tascam 8 track recorder, and a Tascam recorder than can mix down to stereo. Sure, I'm interested, so I ask HOW MUCH?

He says, I'll give them to you. :shock:

I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't. In fact he said he had the Yamaha mixing board in his trunk, I could pick it up after work, and he would bring in the other units next week. And he brought in the two Tascams today. I can't believe this guy just gave these to me, but he did.

They are very old (80's and early 90's) but in almost perfect condition.

Here is the Yamaha RM1608

And here is the Tascam 32

The other unit is a Tascam 38, I couldn't find an image of this. I did find the manual for the Yamaha and have printed it out. I might have a little trouble finding the manuals for the Tascams, I think they date back to 1983.

Anyway, I don't get lucky too often, but this was pretty good.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

Sweeeet.

Im Looking into recording stuff too. But There is no better way then the classic 80's recording stuff!! Hey maybe he won a trip to Miami for a week or something and was feeling generous. lol.

Let us know if you find the tascam manuals, I bet if you call tascam they might have them laying around. Hmm.

Its nice to see people have things go there way.

Peace man. :)

M-Man

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Wow! Those are almost classics! I love the 12 (count 'em!) VU meters.

Did your buddy recommend a technician to keep them running - that's all analog stuff!

I can't wait to get a close look at them.

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

good things happen to good people, congrats Wes. putting up with all our questions has finally paid off :P

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Pretty sweet Wes! :D 8) :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's great!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wes, wow, that is awesome.

TL said it best!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Wow, that's a goergous piece of equipment. Have fun with it!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Love that reel to reel. Here's a neat trick you can do with it. This works great for recording lead guitar. When you have headphones plugged in for monitor recording, place a mike close between them. Watch the levels for feedback though. You get some great delayed regenerated leads recorded. Kind of like a cross between boston and zz top. You'll have to experiment some.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Cool stuff Wes! :)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Wow that is pretty lucky! Looks like everything is in great condition, have you tried them out yet?

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Wow that mixer is sweet. I dont think mixers have changed that much in the last 20 years and I subscribe to the bigger the better mantra. Plus its going to be a while before they can ever make digital recording sound like tape, and tape is the king.

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Hope the cops don't show up next week :shock: :D :D :D

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I got pretty lucky on this one. Only thing is, I know almost NOTHING about recording. I got the manual for the Yamaha mixer off the net, I read it and it doesn't seem very different than a PA mixing board. I also have a good friend who does a lot of recording who said he would help me with it.

As for the Tascams, haven't found manuals yet. But my friend can probably show me how they work too. I also have to find a good place to pick up some tapes. What is amazing is the condition of these Tascams, they look brand new. The Yamaha has a little wear and tear.

I took everything over to Dom's (bass player), he has lots more room than me. Plus, Dom really loves recording equipment, he has a nice reel to reel already. We are going to set up some isolation booths and try to record the band.

So, I've got a lot to learn about recording. I want to just take it slow and start with some simple recordings. I really don't have time to get involved with this.

But thanks, you sure can't beat the price. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2