58 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
11.1 K Views
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am sick of practicing for hours every day and not improving

i am sick of listening to all this shred crap that has like one memorable melodic line in the whole song

i am sick of practicing the same steve morse song over and over and constantly failing

i am sick of not being able to alternate pick for shit

i give up

i should have just played piano

(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Did you really have to go post in other threads how much you hate guitar? If you aren't enjoying it, then don't play - no need to come to a forum full of people who enjoy it and whine about not being able to play.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh. And this is the moment were we should say:"Please, don't go! We know it's hard but be pateint!". Whatever. Music ain't for everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

Your post really is a condradiction in terms. If you are practicing for several hours a day then you are getting better even if you care not to admit it.

To play any instrument well, especially a guitar; you have to get a buzz just by picking it up. Just touching and holding it puts a smile on your face irrespective of how good you can play it.

If you are saying that the guitar in general is giving you nothing but a pain in the ass. Then the answer is to try another instrument or forget music and take up something else.

I suspect you are trying too hard and getting frustrated, just leave it alone for a week or two. You may find when you come back to it that the spark has returned. I hope so because its an instrument that will give you so many rewards and so much pleasure. Sure you have to put some hard work into it but that goes for anything that you want to succeed at.

Good luck anyway,

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Maybe you should go do a few of David Hodge's lessons for beginners here and start building up again.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

get a new guitar!!!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you're practicing and not improving, you're not doing it right. Start doing it right and you'll see improvement.
i am sick of listening to all this shred crap that has like one memorable melodic line in the whole song

Stop listening to music you don't like/appreciate and start listening to stuff that turns you on.
i am sick of practicing the same steve morse song over and over and constantly failing

Then pick an easier song to work on. Come back to the Morse one from time to time and see if your chops are up to it yet.
i am sick of not being able to alternate pick for poop

Start slow, and develop control. Use a metronome. Take a few lessons.
i give up

i should have just played piano

Every instrument is hard in its own way. If you want to be a pianist, take up the piano. If you want to be a guitarist, quit whining and do what it takes :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

buy a good acoutic and throw the electric in the cupboard and out of sight!

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

my top two tips in this situation

1. play a different style for a while - learn some jazz or country tunes (i can heartily recommend some rockabilly!)
2. stop playing for a while, dont touch the guitar for a week, chances are by the end of that time you'll be itching to get back to playing

and always remember the most important thing - music is supposed to be fun!

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Gee Ab, I don't think anyone anywhere has ever felt like that. That is a unique emotion....gotta be. :wink:

For you, me, and anyone else who ever attempted anything, we've all felt those same emotions. I believe we call them "lows" and better yet, pretty soon you are going to experience something else new. I call it "a high." It's basically what happens after you run the gambit of the low. Could take a day, could take a week, could take a month, could take years. I know, I rode one of those lows for 20 years before I took another hard serious look at guitar.

Now I'm loving it and still have highs and lows but the lows aren't near as low as they used to be. Go try being a drummer for a decade. All of a sudden people start making jokes having something to do with pizza delivery amd you find they are talking about you. :shock: :D

Just my humble experience. Yours may vary by mileage and geography. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

I think ab was "venting" more than "whining"...so why not let him do so, since he's caused no harm to any of us here, and one post like that doesn't take away his standing as a forum colleague.
Who here hasn't vented against something, at some time, whether it's golf, or our boss, or our significant other....?
Not you....Really ?
It's just that the internet permits a wider-reaching, less-personal type of vent....but any vent can also be a request for help.
Good luck, ab...hope some of the encouraging comments here have helped, and that you're experimenting with one or more different approaches to guitar.

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

You are improving. You just don't know it.
I'm glad. Now go listen to Jimi Hendrix and let him take you places. Shut your eyes and get in touch with yourself. And I don't even smoke weed or drink, and I get there when I listen to him.
Maybe you aren't good enough yet? Practice more basics.
i am sick of not being able to alternate pick for poop
You're trying to hard.

Just chill man, just chill. You'll get there.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

I don't know how long you've been playing, but we sometimes make the mistake of trying to play songs that we're not ready for. NoteBoat had a very wise comment when he said -"If you're practicing and not improving, you're not doing it right." There are times when we're "noodling" and calling it practice. You might want to set "reasonable" goals for your practice. It's not as much fun in the beginning, but the results are worth it.
Don't quit before the miracle happens. Good luck.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

We have all been in the same spot before. We, (the guitarists on GN), have worked through it, and probably will again. The ones who didn't probably don't play guitar anymore.

I see nothing wrong with you venting... we all need to vent from time to time. Find something that inspires you. Remember what made you pick up the guitar in the 1st place. Walk away from it for awhile & then come back. When you 1st start out, it's easier to see your improvements then it is to see when you are more proficient.

Good luck in whatever you decide. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

The only thing I can say that hasn't already been said, is that I also got kinda frustrated with guitar after I had been playing for years. I learned everything the worst way possible and even though I had attained some skill and most people thought I was awsome I wasn't happy. I switched to mandolin and the physical aspect of playing immidiatly transfered over, the note presentaion is actually easier. After a few months on mandolin I went back to playing guitar and I love them both.

You might try another stringed instrument is what im getting at, they are all very fun, and mostly don't have the tuning differences that guitar does, this will make the visual presentation of the notes much more intuitive.

And its your own fault for listening to shred metal crap. There are great musicians making music today (and who made music 400 years ago). I'll bet you don't listen to either. Go listen to J.S. Bach's Gigue from the Dm Partitia (you will like this even if you hate classical music). And then check out Chris Thile's new CD "How to Grow A Woman from the Ground" If thats not enough to get you excited about melodies and modern music then maybe your note supposed to be a musician.

You could always scat baby! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUWBAy3bATI haha I love this guy.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4