Skip to content
Important problem w...

Notifications
Clear all

Important problem with wrist pain please help!!

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi first of all its been forever seince i have posted cause i lost my computer for a while and i now hope to be posting more!!!

anyways I have a very serious problem with pain in my left wrist after playing guitar!!! You see I am a student athelete and I am taking a weight lifting course to train for football and I constantly have to be tested lifting heavy weights!! The problem is that i am failing my lifts due to high wrist pain which I believe is due to practicing my guitar!

Now, I know what your saying quit playing for a while till it gets better!! Right??

This is not an option you see I lead a band in praise and worship for my church on sundays and practice 2 days a week to prepare myself!! with out this practice I wouldnt be ready!!

It is my duty to my church and my responsibility to god to keep serving!! And I cannot quit the lifting either If i dont become stronger i will injure my self on the feild!!

So what Im asking is if their is anything or any treatment I can do to lessen the pain. I have tried icing it but it barely helped at all, and the relief was only temporary!!

Any advice at all would be helpfull so that i dont dissapoint my coach or my church!! thank you in advance!!
:D :D

(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

hi first of all its been forever seince i have posted cause i lost my computer for a while and i now hope to be posting more!!!

anyways I have a very serious problem with pain in my left wrist after playing guitar!!! You see I am a student athelete and I am taking a weight lifting course to train for football and I constantly have to be tested lifting heavy weights!! The problem is that i am failing my lifts due to high wrist pain which I believe is due to practicing my guitar!

Now, I know what your saying quit playing for a while till it gets better!! Right??

This is not an option you see I lead a band in praise and worship for my church on sundays and practice 2 days a week to prepare myself!! with out this practice I wouldnt be ready!!

It is my duty to my church and my responsibility to god to keep serving!! And I cannot quit the lifting either If i dont become stronger i will injure my self on the feild!!

So what Im asking is if their is anything or any treatment I can do to lessen the pain. I have tried icing it but it barely helped at all, and the relief was only temporary!!

Any advice at all would be helpfull so that i dont dissapoint my coach or my church!! thank you in advance!!
:D :D

I'd suggest you concentrate on your left hand positionong, and see if you're doing something wrong. If theres no problem with your technique, some ibuprofen might help. If the problem persists, see a doctor you may have tendonitis or other problems that can only get worse.

Eric

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

Do some stretching exercises for your wrist/hand/fingers before you start playing...

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Chaise, I think you should see a doctor about this. You don't want to do permanent damage that could plague you the rest of your life. You may need an x-ray or other scan to see what is really going on in there.

Perhaps a physical therapist could help you with making sure your arm positioning while playing guitar is benign and not detrimental in any way.

It may be that you need to lay off both weight lifting and guitar for a while to get things healed up. Or maybe you could still play guitar, but a little less time, during your rehabilitation.

Maybe you could get a doctor's note so you can do alternate weight lifts (lighter weights, fewer reps?) with your left arm.

I don't know much about football, but I would think as long as you continue with aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening your legs, it won't take that much away from your workout if you don't lift with that arm for a while.

Preserve your arm for your guitaring! 8) After all, playing music can be a lifelong pursuit, whereas playing football is not as likely to be.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@chaisewilson)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you for the advice i appreciat it i believe im gonna go with some pain medication tonight because i have practice... If the problems keep bothering me i will see a doctor..

but my football coach doesnt care one little bit about music soo I cant negotiate with him or taking a little break woul be an option!!
If I told him i wanted a break he would probably instruct me to work harder or tell me to stop playing my stupid guitar because he isnt religious either..
ohh well thank you for the advice
ill see how some tylenol and stetching works tonight

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Do take the advice about checking your playing position. Many new players play in very awkward positions, particularly with a low-slung guitar. That causes you to have to play with the fretting wrist flexed in a very awkward, cramped position that often causes repetitive strain injury. Raising the guitar a bit, putting it more nearly vertical with the neck angled up alongside the body and the fretting arm elbow held out works a lot better. Think of the position a classical guitarist uses. Keep that wrist straight.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

It doesn't matter what your coach thinks--he can't argue with a doctor's note. It's for your protection.

You don't have to say anything about guitar or music. It's pain telling you something is amiss.

You shouldn't risk permanent damage for anybody, and a good coach shouldn't ask you to.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

It doesn't matter what your coach thinks--he can't argue with a doctor's note. It's for your protection.

You don't have to say anything about guitar or music. It's pain telling you something is amiss.

You shouldn't risk permanent damage for anybody, and a good coach shouldn't ask you to.

Margaret

She's right. Your health is something you have to live with for a long time. Take it from someone who didn't heed this advice and is now paying the price...

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As the others have said - get it checked out now. Otherwise you might find you HAVE to give up the weights, the sport AND the guitar; and even playing a tamborine will hurt. You'd better have some deep and meaningfuls with a good physiotherapist too.

Ibuprofen will reduce swelling, and it's often swelling that causes the damage so your doctor might prescribe it for you in a stronger dosage.

Let us know how it goes.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would definitely treat it like any sports injury, after playing or lifting you should ice it down to help reduce any swelling and like Alan said maybe a couple Ibuprofrens also.

When you kift you should wrap your wrists if you aren't doing it already and if you are experiencing pain when lifting/playing you need to stop immediately.

If it's nerve damage nothing but stopping is going to do much to help. If it's muscular/ligaments you may be able to get away with still playing/lifting if you are careful.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

your wrist and your guitar will or should be around for ever . football will not.
I say lose the football training. your knees will be next, then your collar bone...for what? a ticket to the pros?

alot of pain in the wrist is not necessatrily carpal tunnel syndrome. it could be a result of a pinched nerve further up your arm. I had a similar problem. the doc found a pinch in my neck.
sometimes trying to do too much ends up with your body telling you to cool it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not sure how old you are but I know I wouldn't ever have given up sports when I was younger regardless of whether or not I was going to make the pros, I just loved to play and I always knew that possibly getting injured, came with the territory.

But I didn't have to make choices, i wasn't playing guitar at the time and now that I am way older I still love to play sports even after tearing my ACL a few years ago in my 40's.

But there's no eason why you can't do both just need to take care of it before it gets to bad.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Not sure how old you are but I know I wouldn't ever have given up sports when I was younger regardless of whether or not I was going to make the pros, I just loved to play and I always knew that possibly getting injured, came with the territory.

Getting an acute injury on the field is one thing, but possibly making an injury into a chronic, permanent disability by continuing to lift weights when there is significant pain is ignorant, IMO.

Like Dogbite said, making music and playing guitar can be lifelong sources of joy. Why risk sacrificing that for a coach who may be so shortsighted and selfish that he/she would push a young athlete beyond prudent limits?

Chaise, I don't know how old you are--I'm assuming high school or college, since you are a student athlete and still young enough to play football. But if you don't feel your coach will accept your pain as reason enough to restructure your weightlifting program, at least for a time, then I think it's time to get your parents to go to bat for you.

You may not yet realize like we oldsters do, that age will bring pains enough, without inviting another one on board. :)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@plutarch)
Eminent Member

You could easily have tendonitis which will not ease up and heal unless you give it rest. Worse, you could be developing or have developed carpel tunnel syndrom which could require surgery to alleviate. You should definitely see a doctor. Ignoring either could cause bigger problems down the road.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

You see I am a student athelete and I am taking a weight lifting course to train for football and I constantly have to be tested lifting heavy weights

are you sure its because of the guitar?

I used to exercise and lift 5 days a week and I can tell you if you don't wrap your hands properly you can cause some severe pain or damage to the wrists. If you are being "tested" regularly, meaning you have to "max" out certain amount of reps then I would have to say you may want to take a closer look at your lifting form. Talk to a trainer. The guitar could be part of the problem, but it sounds like your weight training to me.

what plutarch wrote is right on.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2