Skip to content
Is a 3 piece solid ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is a 3 piece solid body something to worry about?

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about geting a std ash tele and one of the reviews said that it had a three piece body and I waned to know if that was some thing to worry about.
Thanks and God Bless :D :D :D

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi crkt :D

IMO - Not a thing to worry about.

Traditionally, Tele's have been made of a solid one piece body....
And ash is the wood of choice for that traditional Tele sound.

Where-as Strats have been traditionally made of two piece (ash) and then three piece (alder) bodies.

The multi-piece bodies of the Strat lend it a more transparent sound than the one piece Tele's....
Unfortunately, I have no experience with multi-piece bodies on Tele's....
They should sound just fine though :wink:

If your asking if that means that it's an inferior building process ~ No, it's not.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't worry about the fact it's made from three pieces - if Fender thought it was sub-standard, they wouldn't let it get as far as the shops. I really don't see what difference it makes - then again, I'm not one of those people who can tell subtle differences in tone that are down to different woods/construction. And you know what? I'll stick my neck out and say 99.99% of the human race couldn't, either.

Besides, these days, a lot of amps are modelling amps - I can make my Tele sound like a Strat, an SG or an LP just by fiddling with the settings on my Roland Cube 30X. Hell, I can even make it sound like a 12-string acoustic.

As always, the golden rule - try before you buy. If it feels good, and sounds good, buy it - if it doesn't, don't!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm thinking about geting a std ash tele and one of the reviews said that it had a three piece body and I waned to know if that was some thing to worry about.

I've got a 15% card from Sam Ash for Monday if you want it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Play it. If it sounds good, it is. Keep in mind that even some single-piece or bookmatched two-piece bodies make crappy guitars.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a 15% card from Sam Ash for Monday if you want it.

Thanks Roy but I wont able to get to Sam Ash on Monday so you can use it. But thanks any way

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I should be able to get around Guitar Center about Thursday so I going to try one then.
Thanks for the replies. :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I could not make it either. I'm attempting a ride tomorrow. (wish me luck!!!) Also, GC has their big sale going on Monday. I got my Fender amp 10% off last Labor Day.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If it plays well, I won't care how many pieces it was made of...

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i'm pretty sure my Squier 51 is made of 4 pieces of basswood. and I'm sure my cheap Ibanez has countless glued-together boards under the black finish. i still love them both. Even my MIM Fender seems to have more than 2 pieces under it (if you hold it up to the light, you can kind of see the joints in the finish...seems poorly applied to me, but i don't care...it's so resonant unamplified, and so heavy. sustains for years.)

so yeah, no biggie

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote