Clear all

Is floyd rose worth the trouble?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crazy_coyote)
Topic starter  

hi,

I have had a Kirk Hammet 602 from ESP for three months, and it is the first guitar i have tried with floyd rose, since i only have two. It plays really well, but it is a living hell to try to tune it, keep it in tune, change the strings, and adjust the action.
I thought the advantage was supposed to be that it stays in tune for weeks, but that's not true, it goes out of tune in a couple days! I have ernie ball slinky strings, but i don't know if that makes a difference.

So my question is: Is floyd rose worth all this trouble? Or is it supposed to be better? What kind of guitar in this price range can I get if this isn't worth the trouble?

Thanks!

(@kerbdog)
Eminent Member

First of all do you actually use or need a whammy bar with your style of playing? If you find that you rarely or never use the bar, then no you do not need a Floyd equipped guitar....tons of things I could say but will wait for your answer.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, if the FR is properly setup it should keep it all in tune for a long time, provided the strings aren't new. Tuning is something that'll get faster every time you try it, but can be a pain as well. If you use the whammy a lot, it is worth it, IMHO. If not, get a hardtail.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I find if i dont use the whammy bar it stays in tune for weeks. And when I use it loads it still holds pretty well, only needing the odd tune with the tuning things on the bridge.
I think some guitars with an FR hold tune better than others. The only hastle I find is changing string - I have a Jackson Kelly Performer.

Like the others said, tuning gets easier. But its not worth if u never use it.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Are you stretching the strings enough before locking them down?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

All that needs to be said:

If you use whammy, it's worth it, if you don't, then it's not. You pay for your capabilities, if you don't use them, you're paying for nothing.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@crazy_coyote)
Topic starter  

well I play a lot of metallica, but I don't really use it that much, which means I probably shouldn't have it. I do have Ernie Ball Slinky strings, and they might stretch a lot, so that could be part of the not staying in tune thing.

ReplyQuote