Notifications
Clear all

is he the next EvH? (probably not)

33 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

Everyone's talking about Nick's version. Can we hear/see that?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

go here: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=382

I'm on the fence a to whether he's "good." Sure there were mistakes, but on the other hand, how many kids can play like that? I'm definately jealous of his ability, :). Once it is cleaned up he'll be right there I think. But then again, I have read/ am starting to believe that with enough practice anyone can play anything. Its a matter or repetition. Whether or not you like his style (or in this case, EVH's style) is simply a matter or taste

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

how many kids can play like that?

What does that have to do with it? The proper question would be 'how many people can play like that?'. The answer would be: thousands. The only reason people consider this person to be 'good' or 'talented' is because he looks young, and is 13 years old. So what? Is it harder to play a riff when you are 13 then when you are 30? No, it isn't. Maybe he started when he was 5 years old. That would mean he has 8 years of practice behind him.

I know folks who started when they were 20, and could play like this MUCH better when they were 24. There are tons of fast and accurate shredders out there. Could anyone please explain to me what exactly is the 'talented' part with this kid?

I firmly believe that if anyone, no matter how old, is placed in a room with a guitar, and is allowed/forced to practice tapping for 12 months, he could play eruption without any problems. That means that anyone older then 7 could be able to play this if they really want to. Just because someone decides to learn this trick at the age of 13 instead of 20, 50 or 90 doesn;t make them more talented, special or unique in any way at all.

And on the other hand, that actually doesn't matter. If he keeps enjoying himself, and works on the musical aspect of guitarplaying (don't forget, we saw just ONE fragment of him playing), he WILL become a very good guitar player, just like everyone else who spends enough time practicing. If you ask me, a more appropriate description in this situation would be 'dedicated' instead of 'talented'. Which actually could be more positive: talent is something you happen to be born with, being dedicated is something you have to do yourself.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, a lot of whats been said is true.

But, I do think its important that hes just a kid. Whether hes 13 or 8( looks more like 8 to me, but if they want to say 13 then fine) his hands still have a LOT of growing to do. If he can play like that (Granted, not very good playing, but never the less) when his hands are small, then
I think it would be interesting to see what he will do in 10 years of growing physically and musically.

I happen to agree with whoever it was that said "We already have one evh, and I like him more", ditto on that. But, the kid will develop his own style with time as well. We don't really know how long he's been playing for, maybe he just started the guitar that day, now thats talent!!! (kidding, but still, maybe hes only been playing for a few months or something, who knows).

If he sticks with the guitar, he might become good, but unless he makes his own style, he'll get no where. Hendrix, Clapton, Page, EVH, they all did something unique, but, with experience this kid might too. Who knows.

Reminds me of this kid Randy McStine. IO think hes 16 or so now, but he started gigging at 11. He's not all flash, but anyways, thought I'd mention his name, cause from what I gather, hes pretty good. Been doing gigs in NYC for 5 years or so, (as far as I can recall)

Anywho!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

Wow. I'm sorry, but I really just need to leave for a second *kyle rushes to the bathroom and vomits*. There are so many flubbed notes in there that it makes my very, very angry how people are bowing in front of him. I'm sorry, (and this will seem very cocky) I am 14 and have been playing for 1 and a half years, and i am better than that kid by a longshot. But, really this is a irrelevant because he might have picked a guitar right before the show or something(but judging by the fact that it is a particulary sexy jackson soloist usa with flame paint job leads me to belive that this kid has been playing for a while). If anyone who had more than a month of experience under their belts woodshedded for one solid day on this song, it would come out better than this. He doesnt even do any of it properly, and starts in the wrong place. I know, what hes doing, because i did it too when i started. I realized i could "shred" by just alternately picking really fast and runn through scales,and it would be so fast that i didnt have to worry about coordination. Yes, it worked for a while, but it gets pretty anoying. ughh. It shows that there is no justice in this world. How do kids like this get the "im not worthy bows" and player like mike Romeo still have to work burger king during the day to make extra money, despite their overwhelming virtuosity?

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@sunsetncnja)
Trusted Member

Potential? Well it seems like more "obvious" potential than most other kids his age, but it really is too early to tell at this point. And it IS too early to be calling him the next anything. For all anyone knows at this age, he could suddenly decide that he wants to play bluegrass or something down the road, he could hit a wall, become great, or quit music entirely.

ReplyQuote
(@veekachu)

I don't think it's quite fair to say that "everyone" could do that with sufficient practice, just as not everyone can learn to hit a fastball or perform surgery. It's an aptitiude thing- we cannot all be "good" at everything.

There's no doubt that the kid obviously has a decent foundation to build upon. It would be sad, though, if he gets lost in that millieu where un-bridled speed is mistaken for true talent or actual musicianship.

I frequent an online-gaming forum, and every six months or so someone will post a video to some past or present speed monkey. Sure, they go real fast, and they whip their hands all around the neck, above it, below it, and it all adds up to a lot of "Look at me!!!1" noise. Gobs of technical perfection, and nothing else.

I've recently discovered who I believe to be some of the fastest, most accurate guitarists on the planet who also are able to actually play with emotion and soul at the same time, and that would be Rick and Mark Del Castillo, from Austin TX. http://www.delcastillomusic.com

I purchased their DVD, and it literally takes my breath away to watch and listen to their playing. Plus, the spanish/latin rythyms are as sexy as vibrating air can get.

Just some proof (IMHO) that ungodly speed can be intermingled with actual musicianship...

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't really think the mean comments are really necessary. The bowing is done by his friends, and is obviously meant as a joke, if you'll look at their faces as they do it. This seems to be a recital, and there are supportive friends and family in the audience, thats why he is getting so much attention.

I think if he came to guitarnoise, like someone suggested (Which I think he should) and saw some of the comments here, he might not stay.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

You really should think about being an attorney or at least a journalist. You make convincing arguments. Go with your strengths.

Yeah, everybody is being a little hard on the kid. But that is mostly because of the people putting out the video and the kid himself. There is a difference between showmanship and "showing off". It is hard to explain, but you can tell the difference when you are looking at it. Everyone loves a showman, no one likes a show-off.

Hendrix, Hendrix, Hendrix. That's all you ever hear. There is no other guitarist that has been called "the greatest guitar player" more than Hendrix. I think the reason Hendrix is loved and respected so much is because he was an extremely humble person. He never, ever bragged about being a good guitar player. In fact, he usually put his own playing down. When Hendrix played he was a great showman, but never a show-off. Yeah, he would show you what he could do, which was just about anything, but it was never "I am better than you". As I said before, this is something you cannot easily explain, but people can tell. It just shows through.

When you play to an audience there has to be a communication between yourself and the crowd. And they can feel your personality. If you come across as someone who loves the crowd and appreciates them, you will be loved and appreciated in return. If you come across as someone who is arrogant or conceited you will not be well liked. Is it important that the crowd like you? Maybe not.

So, the negative comments on here are an example of what I am talking about. As good as the kid is (he's just a little kid, for Heaven's sake), he communicated the wrong message.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'm not sure if its really HIM thats communicating the message though. Its those idiots behind him, worshiping him, and the idiot who set the whole thing up, that is trying to communicate the message.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

I'm not sure what that was but it wasn't eruption. Anyway for a thirteen year old he's good no doubt. I hope his parent(s) aren't pushing him to play like that. There have been other wonder kids. There was that 12 year old in the ninety's that shared the stage with Steve Vai. There's Chelsea Constable who actually plays some Satriani, Vai, Petrucci tunes note for note and she's only 16.

If he listens to his teacher instead of everyone who praise him constantly, I'm sure he'll be a phenomonal player when he grows up. He wasn't really all that fast and some of what he was playing seemed to be like gibberish but still, what a great starting point!

I keep thinking about those ten year old prodigys playing Bach an Mozart on piano or violin. Y'know those one's who just seem to have incredible tone and vibrato. Oh yeah! How 'bout Paganini. Then again there's Bethoven and Mozart. Weren't all these guys child prodigys as well?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@purplefenderstrat)
Trusted Member

Sounds about right to me. This kid seems to have the 6% talent, now he just needs to get through the piles and piles of work still ahead of him.

E
Absolutley..people are really knocking this little kid hard man but hes got it but eclips made a great point he needs to get throught the work...the notes arent clear but hes 13 hes probly nervouse and hav little hands..lol but hey thts jup mu opinion this cat might be someone to look for in a while...

"im the one who has to die when its time for me to die..so let me live my life, the way i want to.."-Jimi Hendrix-If 6 was 9

Paul Y Howdilly doodily neigborini!!

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Watched the video again, just to see if I got anything else out of it...

Just out of curiosity, about 20 seconds in, the wunderkid starts doing a nice little classical-esque piece with tapping. Can anybody identify that for me?

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

tapping is taken from eruption, nothing else sounds like eruption though.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, but I've seen more emotion in a wash board

Can he actually play anything else?

Can I play like that? No, but then I don't really want to. I'm more of a big lazy V8 type of person, rather than a 2-stroke screamer .

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3