Clear all

Is it bad to not want to play Rhythm?

25 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Right. Basically, as soon as I started guitar I had high asperations. I wanted to be like John Frusciantie and Eddie Van Halen - lead guitarists of four-piece power bands that can rip off licks at any time and impress, amaze and face-melt.

I then obviously found out that getting to that level was going to be a lot harder than it looked. Although I still just wanted to be lead in a band where I could.

My question is this - is it bad for me to not want to play rhythm in a band? I did it once before and it was pretty fun, but I just ended up wanting my time in the spotlight, and left. I just wanted more...

Is it bad to want to be the lead, and sometimes only, guitarist in a band? Or is this part of the "I want to hit it big" ego-wall that many guitarists build up?

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It's certainly some kind of ego deal. If I'm the best lead guitarist in the band, I want to be the lead guitarist. I want the band to sound as good as possible - if there is a better lead guitarist, and this means me playing rhythm, then I'll do that. The real greats just want to make the best music possible.

But I'd say being in a band as a rhythm player is better than not being in a band at all.

As far as getting the spot light, there are plenty of primarily rhythm gutarists who get the spot light. Townshend and Keith Richards come to mind.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Itchard, There's nothing wrong with wanting to be the lead guitarist. But the first thing that jumps out at me as I read your post is a question. Do you have the talent to be the spotlight guy? If you're in a band that boasts two good guitarists, are you the one that will stand out? (without having to ALWAYs steal the spotlight?) If you want to be the lead guy- main attraction, you have to have the talent to back it up.
Lastly, even lead guitarists have to play rhythm.

I will also offer this...Ted Nugent is/was known for his tremendous "alpha male" attitude and presence and early on in his career could not stand to see one of the best singers in rock history, Derek St. Holmes, take just a little bit of the spotlight. It cost him. St. Holmes and other bandmates left the band. Now, some may say that Nugent did very without St. Holmes, while this is true, they were just a MUCH better band with him in it.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Itchard, you're a very bad boy indeed and should be made to stand in a corner and play nothing but G-Em-C-D chords for a week.

Seriously - if lead's what appeals to you, then go for it. As long as you've got the talent. I consider myself a rhythm guitarist - I love playing loud strummed chords on acoustic, and noisy distorted chords on electric. That's what makes me happy. If you're one of those people who loves tearing up and down the fretboard, and that's your main strength, then that's what you should do.

I remember the first time I saw the U2 video "Rattle and Hum" and BB King was recording "Love Comes To Town" with them, and he explained to Edge that he couldn't play chords - I was astonished. Not a bad guitarist, though, is he?

Sure, part of it's an ego-trip - but every musician has an ego, or he/she wouldn't be playing music. Just don't let your ego get in the way of what's good for the band!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@basilisk)

If you're going to be in a four piece band, why not be both lead and rhythm?

THere's nothig stopping both guitarists from sharing lead, one playing certain songs, the other playing others.

Could also lead to some awesome solo duels as well ;)

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Haha, thanks for the posts guys.

Well, dont get me wrong. I don't want to be part of a band that just focuses on me. I was in a band (a four piece, the kind i liked) and I liked being part of the band, because when we played, everything was tight. The singer, bassist and drummer were all awesome at what they did, and I thought they were brilliant.

I don't have any problem with chords either...but I prefer to cover it all rather than just one.

And my first gig I played as a rhythm player and really enjoyed it...but I have grown and bettered in my playing since then. And I guess part of it is, as Blueline said, being a main attraction. Although with the sort of music my band played, we'd all stand out and take a step back when we had to, and let someone else enjoy their 5 minutes.

I know there are some great rhythm players out there, but I was just wondering if anyone else has the lead urge.

Hopefully my ego will quieten down by the time i hit college! :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I remember the first time I saw the U2 video "Rattle and Hum" and BB King was recording "Love Comes To Town" with them, and he explained to Edge that he couldn't play chords - I was astonished. Not a bad guitarist, though, is he?
He couldn't get the hang of playing slide, either. Emulated the sound with bending and vibrato. Works OK for him.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'd suggest do what you do best, but be able to do both. The more you can do, the more useful you become, and perhaps more doors open to you :)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Everyone should play rhythm and everyone should play lead, you switch roles as the song goes on.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

In my opinion, a hallmark of true star quality is the humility, confidence and maturity to help others shine their brightest in turn.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and don't disdain rhythm playing...and players either.
it is the backbone of any band. it is fun. it is work.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

He couldn't get the hang of playing slide, either. Emulated the sound with bending and vibrato. Works OK for him.

Not a good role model, then, would you say?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Watch out, kids! If you don't practice your slide work, you could end up like this!"

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

My $.02 . . . .

If you want to be a great lead guitarist, learn to be a great rhythm player.

A sense of timing and an understanding of how what you're playing works (or doesn't) with the chord structure is paramount to being a great lead player.

Further, the ability to do toss the occasional chord or double-point into a riff does extend your skills considerably.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

both John Frusciante and Eddie Van Halen play rhythm in their bands....

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2