Skip to content
Is it difficult to ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is it difficult to switch to a different scale length?

22 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@johnnie-black)

I don't find the distance between frets significantly different enough to notice when it comes to position changes etc.

String bends are the biggest difference.. and left hand stretches.

The biggest difference when first playing an LP style guitar when you're used to strats etc. is the neck angle rather than the scale length. That's how it felt for me anyway.

Hey there :) Please enjoy my guitar blog :)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I notice a difference when playing certain chords....those are the tougher chords for me though.

Namely C type barred chords. x98676. On my Alvarez (RF8), which is short scale, I can actually play these, on a normal scale it's quite difficult, because even on the short scale my fingers have to do some serious stretching.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Funny- Different answers for different folks and situations. Mine may be a little odd.

I currently own three instruments- An acoustic travel guitar (22"scale), a nice electric guitar (25.5" scale) and a bass (34" scale.)

And I sort of mix and match- I use the travel guitar, mainly, when I'm away from home and learning songs that will eventually be played on either of the other two. I use it to learn, by ear, bass parts, guitar chords, or solos, riffs, and fills that I'll eventually used with the band, playing either the electric guitar or the bass. And it doesnt' seem to matter to me.

Worth noting, though, in contrast to noteboat, I never read onstage with the band. Before we get down to performance, all songs are thoroughly memorised and practiced on the "final" instrument. Also, though I shouldn't have to squint at the fretboard all the time, since I'm not reading, it's not an issue if I feel like having an occasional glance- so you could say, for the band scenario, scale length doesn't matter to me at all.

I'd never thought of it as a scale length issue, though, but reading this thread I wonder if it might be: I can only sight read on guitar. And not any guitar- just the one 25.5 inch scale electric guitar which is my main axe. Even other 25.5" scale guitars can trip me up if they "feel" too different.

Also, if I play an unaccustomed guitar, like my bandmates SG, for any length of time, my left hand cramps.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@kopfschmerzen)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The width and thickness of the neck make a difference, but not the scale length.

Well, I ended up having both Strat-like G&L (25.5") and Brian May Special (24"). I confirm - scale length does not make a difference. Fret width (string spacing) does. Thanks everyone for your input :)

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member

Not sure if it was mentioned but for me it's when I pick up a jumbo fret guitar... sound like I cant tune a guitar for a few bars. Lol

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote
(@bytjyufdvfd)

I had a problem. Many of the notes are fingered the same as the sax, but a few of them are different. At first I made a lot of mistakes fingering the flute like a sax, but in a reasonable amount of time, my fingers knew which instrument they were playing and used the appropriate fingering.

Karen Millen Outlet
Karen Millen Floral Dress
Karen Millen Knit
Karen Millen Multicolor

ReplyQuote
(@martmiguel)
Eminent Member

Not really, you just need to get used to it.

Director of:
Cursos de guitarra eléctrica y acústica
ClasesdeguitarraYoutube

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2