Clear all

is it ok to gig w/ a loop station

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i dont have anyone to play w/ but i have a loop station is it ok to play w/ just me and a loop station

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Certainly, I've been known to jam along with anything and everything from toys that play nursery rhymes to concerts on HBO. Most of the music I get set to work on is only drum and bass tracks. Thats because they want me to come up with the guitar parts for them. Sometimes its just the drums or just the bass, they explain what they would like and how they would like it to sound then I do my thing and send it back.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ain't talking with the experience Joe has, but as far as I care you can use whatever you feel like using in whatever way you feel like using it. You should be prepared that their might always be people willing to criticise you for it, and the weirder your actions the more people will disagree with you. But it's your choice, and if I was you I'd rather play with a looping station then be scared into the 'act normal or die' mentality. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@mr_bungalow)
Trusted Member

Look up a guy called Keller Williams.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

As a bassist, I can only say "Yes". And I'll raise you a "Hell yeah"

The, in my opinion, greatest bassist ever (Jaco Pastorious, rawr) AND who I consider to be the greatest living bassist (Victor Wooten), both do tracks where they just improvise layers onto a looping pedal.

Not to mention that you will have total control over everything. It's a great responsibility in a gig, but it's also very rewarding.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yup I use one all the time for solos and such. Its a GREAT practice tool.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Using a looper is neither a crutch nor a cheat. Using one well -- especially in a live situation -- is a laudable talent in itself. It requires some presence of mind just to keep track of what's going on and what's about to happen, and to weave new musical lines around those. One might start out by laying down simple sections of rhythm and playing over these, but there are far greater possibilities. Hopefully, you will find these.

BTW, this technology (along with multitrack recording) was invented and developed by none other than Les Paul.

Also check out Robert Fripp and his Frippertronics. He's a monster loopmeister.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have to side on the "heck yeah" crowd.

Les Paul did some amazing things with his early loop systems. It takes great skill and musicianship to use a loop station well.

I've tried, and frankly I lose myself if I'm doing anything complicated. But I know of people who can do simply amazing things on them. And I respect the hell out of them as superior musicians for that skill.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Look up a guy called Keller Williams.
Keller live is an experience. He's got more rythym in his pinky than I do in my whole body! My freind bought a looper after seeing one of his shows man it kicked our butts. Definately harder than it looks.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@adocaster)

i've been playing with a boss rc-20 in privacy. i find it good for beat boxing and precious little else as the quality of other instruments tend to get lost in translation. i agree that its killer for practise.

http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html

some easy reading there and links to downloads etc

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Take a listen to stuff by Leni Stern. She's an amazing guitarist (and is going to be one of the folks I cover in my next article) and uses a pair of loop machines in her setup.

If you ever get a chance to see her live you'll spend a lot of time wondering why you've never heard of her before ;)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member

I don't recall the guitarists name (wish I did). He warmed up for Joe Satriani at a local concert. He would lay down 2 or 3 loop layers and then start playing over them. Heck of a show. Had an all chrome guitar.

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

steve vai

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

steve vai

Steve Vai typically does not warm up for much of anyone, and definitely wouldn't be "opening" for JS in recent memory.

I haven't been to many Satriani shows, but my dad has, and apparently he's generally picked some local unknowns.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote