Skip to content
Is it possible to k...

Notifications
Clear all

Is it possible to keep up with everything?

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

You didn't leave any time for GIRLS! What's the point of playing guitar/piano/bass/tuba if the GIRLS don't dig it?

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Only your hands are occupied when playing guitar...

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

You didn't leave any time for GIRLS! What's the point of playing guitar/piano/bass/tuba if the GIRLS don't dig it?

Yea, I've got the girl that digs it also... we usually go out once a week or so, depending.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

After practicing guitar for a few hours, sax for a few hours, I can't imagine moving over to the piano stool . . .

Well, I think it depends on what you consider 'reasonably good'. I think you can get pretty decent at guitar if you play four hours a day ten years long. So I think you could just as easily good at four instruments if you practice each one hour a day for fourty years. Seems possible to me.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

ok -- how about balancing reasonably good in a reasonable amount of time :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Actually, this 10,000 hours is an interesting number. There's a cool paper where they studied a lot of different people: chess players, athletes, and the like. They concluded that natural talent isn't as important as putting in the time. To get to a level that people consider to be 'mastery' you need 10,000 hours of practice, which works out to be ~3 hours a day for 10 years (about 1,000 hours of practice a year).

http://www.icleps.org/Papers/Ericsson%20et%20al%20Psych%20Rev%201993.pdf (warning big pdf file!)

But if 10,000 hours is mastery, then the real question is what is the number of hours you need where you're 'reasonably good'. I would think that's much less...

That being said, I'm trying to learn guitar, piano, and voice, well enough to write interesting songs and perform them, so that's 4 different 'things' to get 'reasonably good' at, it seems :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2