Clear all

Is leading a band always this hard?

23 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

This is a great thread...and I can see it woke us all up!

Hey, I've been married for twenty years to the same gal...and it would be an understatement to say that we've had some "rough bits". But there's just two of us...not four...or five...or whatever...like in a band. It's a marriage, of sorts. Tough at some times...but there's also magic lurking in there somewhere!

There should be some serious "end goals" set out within the group. Do you just want to gig? Just jam? Come up with platinum? Sort it out/replace members that don't share the same goal/get on with it. You cannot hitch two oxen front-to-back in a yolk and get a field plowed.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Re: Is leading a band always this hard?

Its as hard as you make it!

I've been playing in various bands for the last 20 years and with my current band for the last five years.Most of my previous bands were destroyed by petty arguements.Its amazing how musicians can argue about something they supposedly love doing.

In my current band I suppose I am the "band leader" only because its a three peice and I am the singer/guitarist.
Before myself and the drummer started the band we sat down over several beers and came up with a general a set of guidelines for how the band would work.For example if somebody's got something they have to do on a rehearsal night eg. family commitments,work etc then that comes before the band.The same applies to gigs.

The only rule I had when we started the band was that "the first arguement would be the last"
Five years on and not one arguement.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure you set your stall out from the start and ensure everbody knows whats expected of them (and stick to it).If you intend to be gigging twice a week then make sure everyone knows this.If your already in a band set some time aside to draw up a list of band rules that everone can agree to.If they can't then you are probably waisting your time and theirs.

Playing music together should not be hard work,if it is then you need to move on.

Sorry I started to rant a little

Cheers

Bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

This is funny i just joined a band 3 weeks ago and quit it last week :D There were also 3 other guys that came and went-schedules-song choices-and personalities can get to you too.

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@guitar_guy)
Eminent Member

There's no question that anyone who's serious about having a band has gone through similar experiences.

I've found that drummers in my area have been difficult to work with.

There aren't many around here - so because they are few and far between, they develop the attitude that "I can play with anyone I want to, so we do things my way or I go elsewhere."

Then there's the "super serious today" , "don't feel like practicing tomorrow" kind of guys too. They can be the most frustrating because one day they'll be lecturing about practicing more and talking about what direction they see things going, then a day later getting them to do anything is like pulling teeth.

I'd imagine though if you keep working at it you'll find like-minded players. Good luck!

http://www.jammingbudz.com/jamming-space/GuitarGuy

ReplyQuote
(@jsmviper22)

leading a band is always really hard.

I am a musician leader and at my church, and just because its a church doesn't mean you don't have problems with your musicians. the worst ones are the guitarist and the lead singers like you say. This guitarist ones to do this solo, but the other one wants to do this other solo, so they start arguing. and singer arer the same thing they want to have a solo and so does the other one. its tough man.

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

Success. The number one sure killer of a line up. Not the big success, I haven't experienced that yet. But when a band just jumps to the next level, that's where you find out who really knows what they want and who was in it for the around the block accolades. Like our bassist for instance:

Any funk/RnB bassists in the Cincinnati area who wants to join a fast up and coming all original band who just won a major citywide achievement award?

He comes in telling me he is the best choice for this style of music, about halfway in we find out he never listenes to the style we play. Now all of a sudden, we find we are in two different bands and the one he is in sucks. Why join a group on a lie? I hate dragging players around town. I LOVED being a solo acoustic artist.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

On one hand each member needs to respect every other member. On the other hand...just "how" respectable are you???

If your band sounds way too sour and nowheres near good...human nature takes over and the bad vibes begin to settle. If you come off with some truly rewarding sessions...there's pats on the back all around. This is true whatever you do, music or not...school, work, sports...whatever.

Best advice? Walk away from the dead wood...and make yourself good enough where you're immune to this sort of innane crap. It's like finding reasons to stay in a bad marriage...

"Birds of a feather flock together." THAT's a band!

And that's also life, I'm afraid!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@snarble84)

I've lead a few bands back when I was really into jamming. It can be tough but in my opinion it is totally worth it if you got a bunch of guys who are committed.

Because you are dealing with so many personalities and music ideas it is never easy.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2