Skip to content
is their a better l...

Notifications
Clear all

is their a better looking/feeling electric than the strat?

49 Posts
36 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

The only Strats that I find truly beautiful is these ones:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0133000327

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101200720

and of course Mike McCready's '59.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

To me, strats are best. Love strats. Especialy the classic ones with the huge headstocks. They just feel right.

Does anybody know if their super noisless single-coil pups are really all that noisless?

Huge headstock = classic? The design preference is a personal thing, but those particular guitars would be late 60's and 70's models, and the first associated with CBS ownership. It was not considered a great period for Fender instruments. Earlier and later Strats (except for 70's re-issues) had the "classic" smaller headstock.

AFA the Strat goes, I'm a fan from a players POV. And while the favorite axe in my small collection is a (Strat-based) G&L S-500, it's not the only fish in the sea. There are so many others I love playing and eying that I can't say any one design is the best. But like the Tele, LP, and 6120, the Strat is tonally and visually one of the electric classics.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Random thoughts:

- When I visualize "electric guitar" the Strat shape is what I picture, but I think that's just because they are everywhere.

- I play (not very well) a Les Paul copy, and I like it a lot.

- When I think "really cool looking guitar", I think of one of these:

Although, I'm not sure how nice they are to play.

- TwistedLefty is right with his suggestions regarding computer keyboard use for improved readability.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

To me, strats are best. Love strats. Especialy the classic ones with the huge headstocks. They just feel right.

Does anybody know if their super noisless single-coil pups are really all that noisless?

Huge headstock = classic? The design preference is a personal thing, but those particular guitars would be late 60's and 70's models, and the first associated with CBS ownership. It was not considered a great period for Fender instruments. Earlier and later Strats (except for 70's re-issues) had the "classic" smaller headstock.

Im refering to the 70s model which is (according to the fender website) a "classic" model.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I never liked the look of those "headless" guitars so popular in the 80's - same with those keyboards that people would strap on like a guitar.....

I prefer the classic look....Strat, Tele, SG, LP, Explorer...white, black, red, black and white respectively....

But there's a lot of guitars out there.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I loved my SG when I first got it, and the Gibson pickups are to die for. I was never a strat guy until i bought one. The difference in playability is beyond compare. The Gibson's chunky neck is much slower for me than the Strat. Love the strat.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

- When I think "really cool looking guitar", I think of one of these:

Although, I'm not sure how nice they are to play.

Got one (a Nick cast-off, actually). Good for travel, but not really that comfortable to play.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Strats are fairly comfortable to play, but I also love the way a 335 feels in my hands...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"Really cool looking" never enters my mind when I see one of those headless abominations. :shock:

Different strokes for different folks. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I always found them hideous..

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

"Really cool looking" never enters my mind when I see one of those headless abominations. :shock:

Different strokes for different folks. :D

Maybe it's just my minimalist streak showing thru...

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

one word; Paragraphs

some of us have older eyes and it's difficult to follow a string of words (even if properly punctuated) that never has a break.

the enter key , and space bar are your friends :lol:

yes i love strats, and LPs, and PRSs, and semi-hollows, and dreadnoughts, and..... :wink:

:lol: :lol:
I'm right there with you brother. You should try law books, point five fonts and endless sentences. No fun at all.
As for the question which I gathered from the title and the answers (can't read unigraph-paragraphs much better) - I'm a strat guy, love the more ergonomic designs, softer curves of the body. Flying V's and jaggy pointy death metal axes seem very uncomfortable. But if you're high energy like the wingedone I can see how they would be a favorite.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Having both a LP and a Strat, I like'em both. The Strat is truly comfortable to play and does feel much better while sitting. Love that Strat tone too. However, I love the overall feel of my LP and the sound it produces as well.

So, IMO, both have their place and are "apples to oranges" as far as I'm concerned.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am always reminded of the 50's when I see Strats and Teles, especially the two-tone color scheme. The rounded horns are also similar to the big-finned autos of that day. So I think Leo Fender was just trying to capture the popular look of that period.

57 Chevy

57 Strat

Look similar? I think so.

I liked the bigger headstock on the late 60's Strats.

I like all the classic guitars Strats, Teles, SG, Les Paul, Ricks.... I like 'em all. I even like the Explorer and Flying V. I am not too crazy about the "rocketship" guitars of the 80's.

It's all personal taste and opinion. Whatever you like is good. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

my appologies on the one long paragraph...totally my fault...it IS a pain in the ass to read but thanks for taking the time to do so

for some reason i can't seem to get links to work for me on this forum as of yet...
Also am sorry if i am on about this strat thing a bit too much...just really happy to have ended up with something i like this much after so much confusion...but i still say strats have the most inovative look/shape , that's why it is soo widely copied.

cheers - Otis

p.s. i actually was using the "enter" key to start new paragraphs while typing , however i didn't realize i should have been hitting it twice for a proper space between linesand didn't really pay attention to the final product as i should have..thanks fer the reminders!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4