Clear all

Is this a deal or what?

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Okay, one of the guys I know always seems to find sweet deals(I don't know why though), but this is the best deals he's got IMO. He got an all original '55 Les Paul for $10,000!! I don't have pics, but I'll ask him if hell take some. He said he could get $30,000 easy for it.... Geez, he's good... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That dude better bring it to a NASA lab to make sure it is really original...

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Quoted from a dude on the LP forum:
"Hard to find a 54 under 20k unless it's got significant issues. A 55 with a wraptail would be in the same range as a 54, a Tunamatic 55 would bring 56 money.... 40k plus for a decent one.
I'll buy any Good Condition or better 54's through 56's for 15k in a second..."

More searching posts revealed a lot of variance. lousy condition, a switched part or two and they're not going for more than $10k.

So there's your questions: condition? truly all original? stoptail or wraptail? (as 55 is the switching year).

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Quoted from a dude on the LP forum:
"Hard to find a 54 under 20k unless it's got significant issues. A 55 with a wraptail would be in the same range as a 54, a Tunamatic 55 would bring 56 money.... 40k plus for a decent one.
I'll buy any Good Condition or better 54's through 56's for 15k in a second..."

So there's your questions: condition? truly all original? stoptail or wraptail? (as 55 is the switching year).

I think he knows his stuff, he's the same dude who got the '52 P-bass neck with a '73 body for $300! I haven't seen the Les Paul, but I have seen the neck, so I can probably trust him. Maybe its that the LP is in not very good condition, I don't know... But the p-bass is in decent condition for its age.... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member

chances are its probably a fake. Anybody who owned a 55 Les Paul would know its value. Have him take it to a Gibson dealer, they should tell you.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

$10k for an electric? Insanity.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Its probably one of those Historic Reissue or pre-reissue and if he payed that much for it he got took. The on going thing now is folks have been disassembling older guitars an selling them in pieces. Thats pretty sad. If it was picked up for that and it an original in fair condition they got a deal.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think he knows his stuff

How many highly paid experts have been sold fake paintings?

How long did it take the experts to realise that "Hitler's Diaries" were fake?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In SE Asia there are some extremely hi-tech factories producing vintage (mostly Fender) guitars. Was a story on this a few months ago when a police raid revealed one of these factories. These 'copies' were pretty much exact clones of the older guitars, using artificial ways to age wood and whatnot. Experts found it extremely hard to find differences even after having been told which was the real one.

Then again: if you pay the real price, and get a guitar that looks real, sounds real and feels real, then what's the problem? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@briank)
Estimable Member

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but. . . would owners of such an expensive, precious guitar actually PLAY it?
I would be scared that my fingernails would scratch it or something. It almost seems like an almost one-of-a-kind guitar like that would be better to just hang on a wall as a work of art. 8)

"All I see is draining me on my Plastic Fantastic Lover!"

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but. . . would owners of such an expensive, precious guitar actually PLAY it?
I would be scared that my fingernails would scratch it or something. It almost seems like an almost one-of-a-kind guitar like that would be better to just hang on a wall as a work of art. 8)'
Like he said, he could get 30k easy for it. I hate to see a good guitar go to waste, but for that much I don't think it's worth it to play it... It's all for money. In my opinion, I would never pay over 1000 for a guitar, even if I was rich... I'd rather have 10,000 bucks worth of nice gear, than a 10,000 buck piece of really nice gear... But that's just my opinion.... 8) And to tell you the truth, I kinda suspect its fake, but the bass is real, I checked on this vintage fender site... I don't really give a crap whether its fake or not (it's not my money 8) ), I just wanted to see your opinions... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I would play it. Or put it in a museum. Just using them as merchandise is just not cool. Anyway, if you'll end u prich you WILL play on >$1000 guitars. If you're record is about to sell 5 million times your label really wouldn't like you to use anything but the absolute best. So your $10.000 worth of gear will automatically become a whole bunch of $10.000 items. Not because you really need it, but because the stakes are too high and there is no proper reason why not use the best.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Not because you really need it, but because the stakes are too high and there is no proper reason why not use the best.

Exactly, except for the part about the stakes being too high. I'm probably never gonna have a recording contract so I don't need it.... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Who knows? You're young, you're playing guitar and you were deemed good enough to play on television for tens of thousands of people. Sounds like a good starting point. Just keep practicing and see where that will bring you. Heck, all you might need for a contract is an accoustic guitar, the strength to finger some chords and some words you really want the world to know. You''ve got about five decades or so to meet those criteria...

ReplyQuote