Clear all

Is this a good deal?

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-XT15R-15W-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487782

Can someone tell me what they think about this particular amp. I am planning on purchasing a new one soon...

(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

looks like it'd be good for your living room. those solid state amps are reliable. not enough power for a rehersal or a live show. the overdrive if it'll give you any, won't sound good. the gain will be quite 'fuzzy' sounding.

Jazz players love the solid states because you can turn it up loud and it stays clean. i hate solid states for that very same reason. :)

but, if you're looking for a practice amp...this one looks fine for $100...check your local pawn shops...might find something similar for a better price :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I'd rather get an Epiphone Valve Junior for 140. All tube Class A Single Ended heaven...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Just to the guy who started the topic:

Solid State or Tube. These are two different types of amps. Solid state has a sound that is same at pretty much all volumes, where as a Tube amp sounds better at higher volumes.

Also, if you use pedals alot, you want a tube amp because the integration between a pedal being on and off sounds smoother.

Finally Tube amps need their tubes replaced kind of like once a year, so that's an extra cost to bare in mind.

I suggest you get a good 15W/20W solid state amp. Make sure it's not a Marshall MG though, sellers are trying to offload them and they have a bad rep. Crate/Fender do good enough beginner amps.

Good luck!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention Tube amps are pretty expensive! Another reason why it's fine for your I assume first (?) or otherwise non main amp to be a cheaper solid state. You'll know when it's right to start going after a tube amp cos you'll be able to hear the difference yourself and understand all about amps and stuff!

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a 15W Crate, think it may be the same amp, just a new design from mine actually. I like it, it's really nice for a practice amp.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

FYI, check out the Roland Cube 15 or Cube 30. About the same price as the Crate and a much better build piece of equipment. Very loud, and packed with effects.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@muddy)
Trusted Member

i concur on the roland cubes they sound great for the money as a practice device.. as for the tube side i have a carvin x 100b and the tubes are many years old and i play atleat 8 hours a week through them so i do not agree with previous post of needing to retube every year.. depending on what style you are playing tube is worth the money to get

LIVELY UP YOURSELVES!!

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I was incredibly sketchy about how often to change tubes in my post because it really can vary.

I know tubes that barely last a year and some that can go on for 2 or 3.

It changes depending on which amp you buy and which tubes you get.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@timba33)
Eminent Member

VOX Pathfinder 15R. Greate clean channel. Way better than my son's Crate 15w. and it Looks better as well.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/VOX/Pathfinder_15R-1.html

Look at the user reviews of Crate xt15R
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Crate/XT15R_Preamp-1.html

I guess it depends on what sound you want.

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

I have an older version of the same amp, it's all I use to play at my place because of the angry neighbors. However, as somebody stated above, the overdrive is absolutely horrid. Can be solved with a decent distortion pedal though.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

but, if you're looking for a practice amp...this one looks fine for $100...check your local pawn shops...might find something similar for a better price
That's exactly what I did, I picked up one of these for about half the new price in a pawn shop. (and for those who are concerned about the legal status of pawn shop stuff, I bought mine at a pawn shop that is less than a block from the main police station - I feel pretty confident that yer average thief doesn't spend a lot of time in that area :wink: )

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i have a crate 120 watt amp and can't stand it, my roland micro cube sounds better, i love all tube amps my hot rod deville, i'll never part with, but for just a little practice amp, i like the rolands and the epi valve junior 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member

but, if you're looking for a practice amp...this one looks fine for $100...check your local pawn shops...might find something similar for a better price
That's exactly what I did, I picked up one of these for about half the new price in a pawn shop. (and for those who are concerned about the legal status of pawn shop stuff, I bought mine at a pawn shop that is less than a block from the main police station - I feel pretty confident that yer average thief doesn't spend a lot of time in that area :wink: )

i found a haromy 25 watt tube amp that was made in chicago at a yard sale for $40. from what i uderstand from the web site, it was made between 1940 and 1960. it's got the sweet tube sound and very nice overdrive.

it's not grounded and i shocked myself with it. other then that it's great :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

i have a crate 120 watt amp and can't stand it, my roland micro cube sounds better, i love all tube amps my hot rod deville, i'll never part with, but for just a little practice amp, i like the rolands and the epi valve junior 8)

Would that be a GFX-120?

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

close, the xt 120 r :cry:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2