Clear all

Is this a scam?

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So, you see, I've been playing the guitar for 15 years now, and most of you, might be thinking. "Well, I bet he's pretty good if he's been playing for that long." If you're one of those people, you probably couldn't be further from the truth. lol
So, I'm pretty much your average Joe when it comes to playing guitar. All I've ever done in these 15 years is just learn to play songs and just that. Basic Chords, Barre Chords, Power Chords. That's pretty much all I know. I can play a few leads (Literally, only a few) here and there but I couldn't even begin to tell you what scales they use, or what notes are in them.
That's where I hit that wall that I believe so many other guitarists like myself hit, and get stuck in most of the time.

Ofcourse, I know the Major scale in a few different places on the neck, and even a variation of the blues scale.
Which looks something like this on a scale chart I think...
EADGBE
5|oooooo
6||o|||||
7||ooo||
8|o||||oo (I hope you can make sense of that. It does look a bit awkward)

I can even play up and down them at a decent speed (by no means fast) but beyond that, I have absolutely no idea how to use them in a solo. I may just be overanalyzing it, but it all seems so complicated to me.

So, I've spent all that time and haven't even gotten to the matter at hand.
Due to my terrible misunderstanding of the whole situation, I'm just about willing to try anything.
I ran across this page less than an hour ago, and it just sounds too easy. I've seen other scams that claim to benefit you in the same way this program does, but I dunno. I guess I'm really desperate. It's hard to play what you feel when your fingers don't know how.
http://www.guitarscalesmethod.com/
There's the page. After having a look at it, do you think it's some sort of scam, or is it really worth looking at?
I mean, I know I'm not going to be a master in a week's time, that's just an extreme exaggeration to me, but it still looks interesting.

Okay, so let's atleast make this post an educational one. Be generous someone, and shed some light on this whole 'scales' thing for me.

Thanks a lot for your comments and replies.

~Jim~

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

I'm sure it works to an extent, but you aren't going to "master scales and chords" in a week. Sorry to say it, but that will take a lifetime.

I would recommend you just buy a basic music theory book that relates to the guitar, NOT a general theory book, and go from there.

Learning triad formation, intervals, and harmony is going to be a lot more productive in the long run then this method which is probably too "quick and dirty" to give you anything other than a surface understanding of these basic concepts.

Do you know any theory really? There are plenty of good sites on the net. I only have a basic working knowledge, but there are plenty of guys here that would be eager to help you along on your journey.

Cliff Notes: I wouldn't do that, I would buy a book and learn it the boring, old school way.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

I'm sure it works to an extent, but you aren't going to "master scales and chords" in a week. Sorry to say it, but that will take a lifetime.

I would recommend you just buy a basic music theory book that relates to the guitar, NOT a general theory book, and go from there.

Learning triad formation, intervals, and harmony is going to be a lot more productive in the long run then this method which is probably too "quick and dirty" to give you anything other than a surface understanding of these basic concepts.

Do you know any theory really? There are plenty of good sites on the net. I only have a basic working knowledge, but there are plenty of guys here that would be eager to help you along on your journey.

Cliff Notes: I wouldn't do that, I would buy a book and learn it the boring, old school way.

excellent advice....a fool and his money etc

we all know there is no easy fix....we all feel lost and desperate sometimes...the lucky ones land on this forum

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So. I ran across this page less than an hour ago, and it just sounds too easy.

There was a judge in an English court a few years back who was hearing a financial corporate bankruptcy and investors had lost a bucketload of cash after the company promised very high profits, you know the story.

What he said was "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

Caveat emptor - buyer beware and all that. No software system is going to give you capability without you putting in some hard graft. And there are no pictures on the front page, just a "We're wonderful", and a link to download a demo or buy the "Pro" version. So there's no "basic" version to buy then? Is there a particularly "Pro" way of playing a scale once you've learned the patterns?

Hmmm.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Sorry to have to tell you this but there is no such thing as a magic wand. If you want to get better all it takes is three words, practice, practice, practice.

Just my 2p worth, and you were probably short changed too. :shock:

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The "wall" you refer to is common with us types that have advanced to what i call "intermediate" level.

yes,i also reside in this group.

i think inspiration to want more is what makes the difference. if you desire to be better, then realization that there aren't any "shortcuts" is usually what takes the wind out of your sails.

fortunatly you've (we've) found this forum. there's really no other like it on the WWW imo.

this site is literally busting at the seams with great tutorials, lessons, advice, and great unassuming folks who actually enjoy helping you get where you want to be.

the search tab is your friend :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

If it's run by a Nigerian Prince, I'd tend to trust it.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So, I'm probably going to pick up a book on theory and guitar (suggestions anyone?)
But I found this really helpful somehow. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LmbMnc2vpFg

Unlike most what I read on the internet, etc. etc. Instead of handing you a truckload of words you don't understand (yet) and telling you a ton of different things to do in one lesson, he keeps it short, simple, and to the point.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I'd steer well clear of this type of site that promises the earth but will undoubtedly deliver something far short of it.

Spend the money on some one on one lessons with a reputable guitar teacher in your area. Teachers aren't just for beginners. They will help in all sorts of areas. The return on your investment will be far greater.

Just my humble opinion. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

So, I'm probably going to pick up a book on theory and guitar (suggestions anyone?)
But I found this really helpful somehow. http://youtube.com/watch?v=LmbMnc2vpFg

Unlike most what I read on the internet, etc. etc. Instead of handing you a truckload of words you don't understand (yet) and telling you a ton of different things to do in one lesson, he keeps it short, simple, and to the point.

this is a great resource and if it suits you go with it 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Get this. Take one solo each week. After three months you'll know your scales in every key all over the neck, know a bag full of licks and riffs plus you'll have a backing-cd to jam to whenever you want. It actually starts with the box you gave in the first position and they work from there. Seems ideal.

It costs very little and will give you everything if you work on it.

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys. Since watching that guy's youtube video last night I already have a much better understanding of scales and how to use them. I can even do a few things with the two scales I know.

Sleu, I'll probably look into that book soon. It's cheap, and if it starts with the blues scale (I already have a load of blues backing tracks) then it's gonna be pretty fun, I think.

Now I just have to start learning the notes on the fretboard. Well, I can name them in a few seconds if you point, but I want to be able to just have someone point at the guitar and I go G, A#, D B C A etc. etc. without thinking about it.

Thanks yet, once again for your replies and comments. Wether you believe it or not, you've helped me a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Fretted Fingers

That was a pretty good instructional video. And one of the most important things he said was that he felt it was important to learn one scale position first and practice that one position until you master it.

Now that's great because you already know the Blues scale position #1 which you showed (took me a few seconds to understand it, but it is correct).

Start right there. There are literally tens of thousands of solos played in this one single position with these very notes. Start with some slow solos you can easily follow. Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton was a great example of where to start because it is slow and easy to follow. You will find you can play this solo with the scale you showed by adding one single note to the scale.

So go back and listen to your collection and find some slow, easy to follow solos. Just listen carefully and try to find each note on your guitar. With a little practice it becomes easier and easier to do. You will develop a very good ear learning this way.

Study scales and theory, but practice learning by ear which is even better. After all, music is something we listen to, not read. Just read a article by the late Dimebag Darrell last night, he said he really didn't know very much about scales and theory, he said he mostly tried to play riffs that simply sounded great to him. That is good advice.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wes, I did listen to and play over wonderful tonight by good ole E.C.
Granted, my "Solo" if you will call it that, did sound pretty scalular, I was able to play along to his voice within the major scale, as well as come up with a few interesting melodies.
I haven't exactly mastered the major scale, or blues scale in any one position, but I am working on that, and having a lot more fun since watching that video.

Anyways. Thanks again. Keep the comments coming! =]

ReplyQuote
 fraz
(@fraz)
Trusted Member

Hi Fretted fingers,

In a general musical sense, do you know your Major scales?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2