Clear all

Is this normal......

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have 2 small but effective amps, one 35 watts and the other 75 watts, ok on the 75 watt one there is the input all the effects, then to the side it has a headphone jack and something else.

That something else I have no clue what it is, the icon to the side of the unknown input has a little speaker and a musical note beside it. Anyone know what it is, this amp is a Crate. Anyway I wanted to hook up both the amps and I used this input, but something weird happened, when I did this the 35 amp played with all the sound. Like all the sound of the 75 amp is going into the 35 and all the effects of the 75 watt amp are going into the 35 watt amp, so the 35 watt amp is the only one playing sound the 75 watt amp just sits there being turned on not doing anything.

So I ask is this werid?

(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

What model is the 75 watt amp? It could be a line in< but should ve easy to determine with the model number.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Given the behavior you describe, it sounds as if it's either a direct out for recording or an external speaker out. Given that it did not blow up your anything when you fed the signal from this jack to the 35 watter, I'll go with the direct recording output. That would act as you describe: All the effects and settings of the 75 watter would be reflected in the signal coming out of the jack. The normal application would be to use this output to capture the amps sound/effects (sans its power stages) for recording or PA amplification.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well I found out what it was, bythe way this is my brothers amp he let me borrow it, the model it a GX-20M, and the thing i was talking about was an External Speaker Input: Use this input to connect the amp to an external speaker.

So was actually is the use for this to play the sound of this amp into a much bigger amp?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, I believe that's the use.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

In that case, you shouldn't be plugging this into the input of another amplifier. It's for using with an external speaker cabinet, which could provide a different or better tone than the internal speaker or be louder.

To give you some perspective, the input of an amp is expecting to "see" a few volts peak-to-peak. A moderate to loud signal from your 75 watt amp will be a few tens of volts peak-to-peak. Not really a recommended situation -- even ignoring the lack of a proper load on your 75 watt amp (hard on tube amps, not so hard on solid staters).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You are lucky. It is amazing that did not instantly blow your 35W amp.

A "speaker out" should only be run into a speaker. This is an amplified signal. Never run a speaker out into another amplifier.

A "line out" or "pre-amp out" can be run into another amplifier.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah i know that now, but prolly the reason that it didnt blow up was because i only had it on like 2 on volume

ReplyQuote