Is this normal

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
Ok heres the deal. I was changing strings on my cool royal blue squier fat strat that I bought about 2 years ago when I started playing and noticed something on the frets that caught my eye. On the earlier frets, ie- 1,2,3 I noticed that they had been rubbed down a little by the strings, so the metal fret is now permanently flat instead of rounded! I have not noticed any sound difference, but is this normal?? Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about. Thanks guys.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that is perfectly normal.

After many years, your frets can develop deep grooves that do cause a problem. My '91 Strat got such deep grooves in some frets that I had to raise the action a little to keep from getting fret buzz on the next higher fret. I went to a Luthier to see about a full re-fret, he wanted over $350! So I ended up buying a replacement neck. Just like new again.

But you sound like you are a long way from that. I wouldn't worry about some of the frets being worn a little.

Here is some badly worn frets.

Worn Frets

My frets were actually much worse than these shown.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

he wanted over $350!

That guy should be shot. I just had a fret dress done for 100 (taxes in) on my acoustic and it would have been 12 dollars a fret for a refret. I probably would have needed 12 frets, so 350 seems crazy.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

fret wear is normal. mine are dished a bit because I use so much vibrato.
unless they are so worn as to cause buzz dont worry.
think of it as a badge of regular and good playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

he wanted over $350!

That guy should be shot. I just had a fret dress done for 100 (taxes in) on my acoustic and it would have been 12 dollars a fret for a refret. I probably would have needed 12 frets, so 350 seems crazy.

Depends on how much work it needs. Refretting jobs can be a LOT of labor, especially if the fretboard is bound or shaped. I have an acoustic with a fretboard that goes to 24 frets under the first three strings, 20 frets on the others, with full binding all the way - quote anything under $250 for a full refret on that, and I'll figure the guy's an amateur!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@decstuff)

How do they refret a guitar anyway? Is refret a word?!

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

good.... i like the idea of it as a badge of playing. Thanks guys.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yeah,refret is a word. it is similar to regret...which is when you try to refret by yourself. :D

the old fret is pulled out. a tool removes the old glue. a new wire is measured and curved to fit your radias. then it is pressed into place. the ends are filed and the top is dressed with a curved smooth file.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

my Fender is currently in the shop for a refret. It's taking FOREVER. I only need 3 frets redone...they popped out!!!! It's taking so long because I'm trying to get it done as a warranty claim. The guitar's slightly over a year old and well taken care of and humidified when needed, so the frets shouldnt be popping out.

Anyways, the lowest frets (1-5) are the ones that have the most wear, usually. I play alot of open chords, so i find that on my Martin the lowest 5 frets have the most wear on them.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

yeah,refret is a word. it is similar to regret...which is when you try to refret by yourself. :D

the old fret is pulled out. a tool removes the old glue. a new wire is measured and curved to fit your radias. then it is pressed into place. the ends are filed and the top is dressed with a curved smooth file.

haha, u make it sound so easy..i wish i knew how to do all this guitar work...think i mite call some local techs n see if they want an apprentice....maybe over summer or sumin. hm, ponders

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

haha, u make it sound so easy..i wish i knew how to do all this guitar work...think i mite call some local techs n see if they want an apprentice....maybe over summer or sumin. hm, ponders

I made it sound easy??? how des one do all that without scratching or putting file marks in the fret board?
I would never attmpt a refret by my self.

I made a ftreboard for a lap steel once. labor intensive. I had i easy as my fretboard was flat. from far away it looked ok. up close....not.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that is perfectly normal.

After many years, your frets can develop deep grooves that do cause a problem. My '91 Strat got such deep grooves in some frets that I had to raise the action a little to keep from getting fret buzz on the next higher fret. I went to a Luthier to see about a full re-fret, he wanted over $350! So I ended up buying a replacement neck. Just like new again.

But you sound like you are a long way from that. I wouldn't worry about some of the frets being worn a little.

Here is some badly worn frets.

Worn Frets

My frets were actually much worse than these shown.

Dammit ! just get a new Fender Strat for 350 $$$$$ :D

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Just play it. If you want to see some worn out frets check out frets.com

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

I made it sound easy??? how des one do all that without scratching or putting file marks in the fret board?
I would never attmpt a refret by my self.

haha, it just sounded easy the way u said it, tho there isnt another way i guess. just made it sound liek step 1, 2, 3 done.

agh

i think my guitars are quite far from it, they dont have grooves, but u can see where they are goin in at if that makes sense

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Masking tape when defretting and special files with smooth edges for leveling, with a big helping of finesse.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2