It's time to be perfectly honest.

48 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, this is a real simple question:

How many hours do you practice guitar a week (on average)?

This is not about bragging or anything like that. Some people have far more time than others, and that cannot be helped. And some have greater desire than others. This is not a contest.

It is really about asking yourself as a player if you are putting in the necessary hours??

No exaggerations please, just your best estimate.

I have had the week off, so I've really practiced a lot so far, probably 25 hours.

But on average? I think I get in about 10 hours a week (most of that on the weekend).

So, how many hours do you practice a week?

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I am right there with you Wes at about 8 to 10 hours a week. I try to do an hour a day at least but with work and working on my degree at night, it isn't always possible.
However, Bachelor's degree=more pay=more gear. :)

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

The last 3 months it's been about 14 hours a week (unstructured if I'm honest), however it used to be far less.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

I don't practice as much as I used to. In the first year of playing guitar I used to practice at least three hours a day, and more on the weekends.

Now I'm lucky if I practice one hour each day. At least I practice each day which I think is very important. And when I practice I try to work on my guitar homework which only consits of classical guitar and learning how to read notes. After that there's hardly any time for anything else.

So, a guess would be that I practice about 10 hours a week, and most of that time is on the weekends.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Probably between 3-4 hours every day....I should split the time more evenly between lead, rhythm, acoustic and bass, but if I'm honest, I've been playing a lot more bass than anything else lately....and then there's the keyboards and a bit of harmonica......

And yes, it should be structured a whole lot better....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I would say I play my guitar 10 - 15 hours a week on average. It is totally unstructured and usually consist of me either trying to learn a song or write a song. When the band starts practicing again that figure should increase some.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Probably no more than 6 hours a week.

It shows (in a negative way), but I'm having fun with it so what the heck.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Hmmm....

Take this for what it's worth.

About two to three hours a day, one hour noodling around and amusing myself, then getting bored and actually working on something new, right now it's about playing scales that involve me moving to different positions with my fret hand. (I'll be watching you, The Police) I am also trying to get a handle on reading and understanding music but this doesn't require me having an instrument in my hand, at least not yet.

I guess it depends on what your definition of practice is.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Six to 10, I'd guess.

My wife would say I spend 40, but that's surely an exaggeration. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I like to get in 30 minutes of practice a day, but it usually works out to more like 1 - 1.5 hours a day because I get wrapped up in the fun of it. That works out to 7 - 10 hours a week.

Since I have taken some time off from work for the holidays, practice time has been closer to 3 - 4 hours a day since last week.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Somewhere between 8-10 hours per week for me. I wish I had more time to devote to it, but alas, those bill collectors get very insistant about being paid. so I have to work! :?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it varies between .5 to 1.5 hrs per day, sooo that comes to about 3.5- 10.5 per week.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hard to say. I'm with my family during the holiday season and I've only got an accoustic around. I don't really play long periods but I do pick it up and play for a few minutes atleast ten times a day. So I think it comes down to something like 1-2 hours a day.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

No matter how much I practice, it is never enough.... :oops: :?

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ha ha . good one.

I am behind my guitar at least seven hours a week. add three to four hours if I go to the friday night jam.
I really like the guitar. sometimes I suck and sometimes I amaze myself...and others too.
that in of it self is amazing to me.

I do have to say that I spend too many hours away from guitar and guitar practice doing things in order to have a guitar to practice on. :shock:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4