Notifications
Clear all

It's time to be perfectly honest.

48 Posts
46 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Some days I will play 7 or 8 hours or more. Some days none. Not counting the marathon sessions or the 1 or 2 days a week that I skip I usually average about 1 hour a day.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I'm only averaging 5-6 hours a week if that. I finally got a new chromatic tuner for Christmas so I'll be wanting to play more now.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@brothaweed)
Trusted Member

Averaging 7 hours a week. Sometimes the wife gives me some extra time on the weekends and that can add on another 3-4 hours.

ReplyQuote
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

I've been praticing for about 1/2 hour a day, and then about two to three hours of playing and having fun. I also got a looper recently which has turned out to be a great teaching tool for me, while still being a blast to use. So I've actually been getting a lot more practicing done lately then I usually do.

I got this really cool book for x-mas, also, entitled "Guitar Workout - An Excercise Plan for Guitarists" by Jody Fisher, which has really been helpful in putting my playing into shape and would highly recommend it if you feel like improving your chops.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It varies too much to pin down, just basically as much as I can without letting it get in the way of things I shouldn't let it get in the way of really. Anywhere from barely 10 minutes to a good 10-15 hours.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

4-5 hours per week of unstructured playing, mostly jamming on the electric to backing tracks, but also playing through all song I can play on the acoustic.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Maybe 3 hours a week. 4 if I'm really lucky. And that's all midnight oil time, not entirely optimal.

Job + overtime + work related travel + kids + kids activities (etc, etc) = not as much time to practice as I'd like.

But what time I do have is enjoyable.

Ditto.

I daydream about practicing while at work, so that should count for something.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

15 minutes a day, every day, of structured practice. That's doing some type of exercise or scale targeted to maintain or increase my ability.

Sometimes that's all I have time for. Normally, though that's the amount of time it takes for me to go chasing off on a tangent and exploring whatever inspiration the exercise happens to bring.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I don't have any structured practice at all..I do try to play about 45 minutes daily(or More). ...The dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

anywhere from 30 mins to an hour a day of structured practice, and another two to three hours noodling and playing songs.
i'm hoping when i get my zoom g2 (go me!) to spend alot of time recording to benefit my non-structured playing time

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I have my guitar in my hands about 10hrs per week. Sometimes more if I don't have anything to do on the weekends. Most of the time I'm playing something I already know or just fooling around. Probably about 3 hours out of the 10 is spent learning something new. I really need to try to focus more on good, quality, productive practicing. Meaning, working on my skills that are lacking.

ReplyQuote
(@steeder)

10 to 12 for me - roughly about an hour a day during the week and the rest on weekends. Typically, I spend my time on songs I'm learning and chord changes. I need to spend more time on scales and learning the fretboard, but I gravitate back to practicing songs I enjoy singing because, well I enjoy it :-)

It's a definite flaw in my practice routine, though and one that I constantly battle against.

Steed

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I shoot for about 2 hours a day. Most days I'll jot down the amount of time in my practice log just for curiosity's sake... looking back it seems like the longer sessions (3+ hour) were either really good ones, where I didn't want to stop, or really bad ones where I had to spend a lot of time working on a single thing I couldn't seem to get right.

But that's just structured practice. When you add in time I spend teaching, playing with others, rehearsing tunes, or just jamming, I end up playing 30-60 hours a week.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I have zero structured practice so it's tough to track. Maybe 15-20 hours a week, a good 1/2 of that noodling around while I watch T.V. I do play everyday, though; at least since April when I bought an acoustic that could travel with me when I was out of town.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I try to play at least 30 minutes a day but I usually play longer. Most of it is spent learning songs and riffs, but i try to do some scales and other things aswell. It depends on whats going on at school, but i try to make up for it on the weekends.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4