Clear all

I've got GAS again

25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just as soon as I think I'm all set and don't really need anything new, I spot something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoCK6N2XEO4

This looks like PRS's answer to the Les Paul Jr.. Man, I am digging this guitar, that is the kind of tone I love.

Gotta start working more overtime and saving again. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah -- I'm thinking about it too. I love P90s ... even in the bridge position :wink:

Have you seen Hamer's version? Absolutely stunning in Korina and a lot more expensive.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Yum =) I love my Santana SE and those single cut PRS's are quite sexy.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sigh.....

I just love guitars with a good woody look, and preferably as plain and clean looking as possible. That's a couple of beauties there. :D

BTW Wes do you have any sound clips anywhere of you playing your Gibson Sg faded as mentioned here:
Truth be told, I've never owned an electric that I truly liked the sound of the neck pickup until I purchased the Gibson Faded SG a few months ago. This has the 490 pickups in it. Now, I truly love the neck pickup in this SG, prettiest neck pickup I've ever heard, very warm and full with some jangle

I'm current in the grip of Gas for a similar SG so it would be neat to hear one with you at the controls if you do happen have any clips up anywhere already.

Hope your saving plan works out for the PRS. :) I'm about 25% the way to saving for the the SG now... Probably about 25% of the way to getting the necessary playing skills to do it justice as well, but working hard... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I would love to own a P90 equipped guitar someday to play Green Day and Ramones. :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

To all who are interested in a good sounding P90 equipped guitar, check my Agile AL-3000:

http://www.rondomusic.net/al-3000csbp90.html

An absolutely GREAT sounding and playing guitar! Less than $400! I thought I was going to have to upgrade the pickups when I got it, but they aound great and are staying!

Here are some other, cheaper Agiles w/ what I am guessing are the same P90s:

SG copy:
http://www.rondomusic.net/valkyrieiiip90.html

LP Silverburst copy:
http://www.rondomusic.net/al2500silverp90.html

Sort of a Rickenbacker copy?:
http://www.rondomusic.net/harm1semifg.html

LP Doublecut copy:
http://www.rondomusic.net/product1110.html

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Sigh.....

I just love guitars with a good woody look, and preferably as plain and clean looking as possible. That's a couple of beauties there. :D

BTW Wes do you have any sound clips anywhere of you playing your Gibson Sg faded as mentioned here:
Truth be told, I've never owned an electric that I truly liked the sound of the neck pickup until I purchased the Gibson Faded SG a few months ago. This has the 490 pickups in it. Now, I truly love the neck pickup in this SG, prettiest neck pickup I've ever heard, very warm and full with some jangle

I'm current in the grip of Gas for a similar SG so it would be neat to hear one with you at the controls if you do happen have any clips up anywhere already.

Hope your saving plan works out for the PRS. :) I'm about 25% the way to saving for the the SG now... Probably about 25% of the way to getting the necessary playing skills to do it justice as well, but working hard... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris
Don't want to hijack this thread, but it's funny that you mention this about the neck pickup. My son has the faded SG and he almost always uses the neck pickup.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah -- I'm thinking about it too. I love P90s ... even in the bridge position :wink:

Have you seen Hamer's version? Absolutely stunning in Korina and a lot more expensive.

Now somthing like that gets my gas a going again ................ :x But I can't. :cry:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

We did make an attempt to record our outdoor gig a couple of weeks ago. We mic'd all the instruments and drums and ran them into the board and then into a 2 track recorder. We even had an experienced bass player run the board for us. But when we played back the recording it was terrible, the vocals were boosted way over the instuments. The problem was the guy recording could hear the live instruments and boosted the vocals up. We should have had headphones so he could hear the true mix through the board. The recording was not even worthwhile.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, try again next time. I'd like to hear. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wes, what is your preferred instrument right now? The LP or the SG?

The PRS One is a sweet looking instrument. I'll tell you, though, the PRS SE Singlecut (it was demo'ed on YouTube - I saw it when I looked at your link) looks a LOT like my Fender Tele Custom. I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't 90% the same. I'll give the nod to the Fender since it has American humbuckers.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The Dali Lima

I like the SG better.

Now, I still love my LP and play it, but the SG is MUCH lighter which I really love, and it has a slightly brighter tone than the LP. The neck pickup on my SG sounds much better to my particular tastes, I rarely use the neck pickup on the LP.

That said, my LP has better action. I can get the strings dead low on my LP without any buzz whatsover. I cannot go that low with the SG. But that's ok, the action on my SG is very nice.

The pickups on my LP Studio are slightly hotter than the SGs 490 pickups, but just a little. I actually prefer the SGs pickups, they break up very nice but not too much. But I am not into hyper distortions, I like CRUNCH.

I can get Angus Young's tone like this song easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7S150Lslg&mode=related&search=

I like modern distortions to a degree, but usually they are just too bassy and muddy sounding. I guess you love the tones you grow up on, I still prefer the great guitar tones of the late 60's, and 70's like AC/DC, Bad Company, Foreigner, I loved the humbucking pickup guitar through a Marshall amp best. This guitar tone grinds. :twisted:

I can get these tones, but it is not the guitar only. It is a good tube amp (Hot Rod Deluxe) that I loaded with a Celestion G12T-75 (the speaker Marshall uses in it's 1960 cabs), a good EQ (very important to tighten the tone), Marshall Guv'nor pedal and BBE Sonic Stomp that really opens the tone wide.

But having the right guitar is critical too.

This is just me, I am sure many hate this tone. But I love it, you crank an amp loud with this tone and people's jaws drop. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Wes, you really are a YouTube freak, aren't you?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Speaking of P-90s... I think these are underappreciated guitars. I played one about 6 months ago... SMOOOOOTH.

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wes, you really are a YouTube freak, aren't you?

Yes I am. :D

I think YouTube is great for a guitar site like this. If you are interested in a certain guitar, amp, or effect, chances are you can find a good video on YouTube that will give you a good idea how this gear sounds. Plus, we are always talking about certain artists, you can find them on YouTube too.

I spend lots of time looking up old groups I like, like this great video of The Who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLA596zUwc

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2