Notifications
Clear all

I've picked up a pick and now I can't do anything

21 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Actually, it's not like 4 picks at all, fingers can't upstroke. Also, the pick is much more precise

I agree that it is not quite like 4 picks but I disagree with the rest of the sentence.

Fingers can't upstroke? I am curious how you fingerpick. Besides If you are picking single notes what does it matter if you are doing upstrokes or downstrokes? The fingers also allow for picking two, three or even four non adjacent strings at a time which is not possible with a pick. You can also mix in strumming (including partial) with your thumb or index finger.

Also I believe the fingers are much more precise. Once someone has a picking pattern down cold you can do it in your sleep.

All this being said I love to play with a pick just as much as picking.

I would always fingerpick ecept for the two drawbacks that I see. I find the fingerpicking does not make for as clear tones and they have less volume.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I think it's good for guitarists to do both fingerpicking and flatpicking, but it's not required.

When Wes Montgomery started gigging, other guitarists told him he'd be faster if he used a pick. So he got one, and spent three months practicing with it all day... and found that at the end of that time, he was a bad flatpicker and a bad fingerpicker. He figured he had to decide, so he went back to his thumb-style.

I disagree that flatpicks are more precise than fingers - but I will say you can learn to control a flatpick in a lot less time than controlling your fingers. Flatpicking technique can be pretty decent in a couple years; figure five years for fingerpicking control to do the same things. At the end of that time, though, you'll be able to do more than a flatpicker, even one who's good at hybrid picking - you've got so many more choices.

Take a simple figure, like a bass note followed by three treble notes. The flatpicker really has two choices at decent speed: D-U-D-U or D-D-U-D. The fingerpicker has six: PIMI, PMIM, PMAM, PAMA, PIMA, PAMI. Fingerpicking also gives you more control over the timbre - you can adjust the angle of your fingers slightly to attack with more or less of the nail.

It's true that for many guitarists, wrist speed is greater than finger speed. That's only because you've worked the wrist/foreram muscles more than the fingers. Look at any practiced musician who has right hand finger work - piano, trumpet, sax - and you'll see those fingers can move just as quickly as the wrist.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I would always fingerpick ecept for the two drawbacks that I see. I find the fingerpicking does not make for as clear tones and they have less volume.

Those are the reasons to use fingerpicks.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Well I have tried thumb picks. There were just too uncomfortable for me, as for fingerpicks I always figured they would sound similar to my nails. Even if they were better I would find it hard to switch. I am so used to playing without them.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member

I abandoned the pick years ago although I appreciate hearing a well-picked song. I wonder if David Hodge's song lessons are 'picked?' I suppose it makes a world of difference when learning a song not knowing if it's meant to be flatpicked or fingerpicked. I try David's way first - he prefers the 'less is more 'approach and I usually get frustrated trying to pick in the exact same way that he does so in the end I'm going full out in my usual arpeggio style creating a song that I've made 'my own' anyway. Ie. Julia - not sure I'll ever get that song right. Also the picking pattern makes a difference in song presentation if I add vocals too than if it's just instrumental, right?

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
 Ezmo
(@ezmo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Since my last post, I have spent a few hours practicing with a thicker pick than the one I began with, and I must say that I am feeling much better.

I'm learning that it now requires more of a wrist movement mixed with the movements of the two fingers that hold the pick, i.e. my thumb and index finger. It reminds me of the difference between picking up rice with my fingers as opposed to using chop sticks! :-) Now I guess it is more like "target practice," a phrase used by the "Piano Guy" (on PBS). Finger picking still is more natural; I seem to never have to look at my picking hand -- my fingers just land on the right strings.

I intend to practice only flatpicking with a bit of hybrid picking on my electric since I am concentrating on the solo style with it. I will continue finger style with my acoustic without a pick. This will give me the best experience in both worlds, right?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2