Clear all

Jazz Guitar and Scales

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I want to learn to play Jazz guitar and I was wondering how Jazz guitar players deal with scales? Do they memorize the shapes or what?

I'm working on memorizing the fretboard but I still don't know it well enough to be able to play scales without thinking a lot.

So how do Jazz players deal with it?

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

To play jazz well, you need to understand intervals. You also really should know the names of the notes.

My scales practices consists of playing each scale starting at every tonic on the fret board, and playing up at least 2 octaves (if possible) and ending on the tonic. I do this saying the note name, then saying the interval.

It's important to know both, but the interval is probably the most important. You'll be in lots of band settings where the lead sheet has chords written out as I ii iii IV V vi viidim and the band leader will say something like "Can you arpegiate 1 3 5 7 9 over this section?"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote